PDA

View Full Version : 87 hatch with BT engine (backfiring problem)

XtremeBlueNeon
04-17-2008, 06:48 PM
i've been reading a lot but still cant find something to work with, here is the problem, the car had an a20a3 before i replaced it with this one, i went and asked for an 87 accord engine i ended up with a BT engine (86prelude) everything runs perfect except that it backfires at 4800rpm, it does not have the power as my last engine so i might be thinking is a timing issue.... HELP!!!! IT ONLY BACKFIRES WHENT IT HITS EXACTLY 48000RPM AND DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH POWER....

Demon1024
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM
wow joined a year and a half ago and first post. Did you try checking your timing? There's a thread on here somewhere for doing it if you can get a light i'd start with that

bank2me
04-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Where is it backfiring from the intake or exhaust? Yea check timing

XtremeBlueNeon
04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Where is it backfiring from the intake or exhaust? Yea check timing

backfiring is coming out of the intake, but today was weird because it went all the way up to 5200rpm without backfiring, do I just have to adjust the timing on the distributor?????

bank2me
04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Yea you will need a timing light I would think and if you have a haynes manual just do it that way. If you don't let me know cause I have 1. Good Luck man.

2oodoor
04-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Yea you will need a timing light I would think and if you have a haynes manual just do it that way. If you don't let me know cause I have 1. Good Luck man.

going to Colorado with your light, wow man, swing by Georgia on the flip flop I could use a hand too. :welcome:
Backfiring through the intake usually means fuel starvation, but could be spark wires, and timing.
Through the exhaust, vacuum leak, timing, leaking injector or injector driver issue in the ecm. (ecm, makes me wonder if it may be different for the lude)
Both of these are provding the engine mechanical side is working right. Also any of the above issue can have a domino effect on other engine managment problems showing up including clogged cat.

XtremeBlueNeon
04-18-2008, 04:33 PM
going to Colorado with your light, wow man, swing by Georgia on the flip flop I could use a hand too. :welcome:
Backfiring through the intake usually means fuel starvation, but could be spark wires, and timing.
Through the exhaust, vacuum leak, timing, leaking injector or injector driver issue in the ecm. (ecm, makes me wonder if it may be different for the lude)
Both of these are provding the engine mechanical side is working right. Also any of the above issue can have a domino effect on other engine managment problems showing up including clogged cat.

I just did the timing, its now adjusted but it still backfires, i read something about a clogged cat, i remember when i finished installing the engine, after all the work i got it to run, and the muffler was throwing some kind of black dust which left a huge stain on my garage floor, is it possible to be a clogged cat? what if i bang that suckwer with a hammer will it work???? lol

also the intake and the muffler sound a lot more pissed off than usual, it almost gives a sound like if it had vtec lol, but yeah it does not have a lot of power, people just keep looking at me when they are passing me and im still floor in it hahahahaha.....