PDA

View Full Version : Driving on 3 lugs

Strahan
04-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Decided to change my brakes this morning, because when I would brake on the highway everything would shake. It was annoying. So I picked up new rotors & pads. Went to take the driver's rotor off and saw that one of the phillips screws that hold it on was ground up pretty bad. Quick slice across it with a dremel and I was able to use a flathead to take that out, no sweat. Did the brakes, buttoned it up. Went to the psgr side. 3 lug nuts came off no prob, but the last one was fighting me like crazy then bam, it snapped.

Took the wheel off and figured ah well, change the brakes and be done with it. Grabbed my hammer and started whacking away at the stud, figured I'd drive it out then pick up a new one tonight. Dumbass me didn't check for clearance first, hehe. When it wouldn't move anymore I glanced behind it and saw it had jammed into something and now I couldn't even turn the wheel. Well, 5 minutes with an angle grinder and the stud was history.

Just worried though about driving it with only 3 of 4 lugs. Think it would be OK for a 60 mile trip? I don't have time to screw with it now, just wondering how bad it is to drive like this.

russiankid
04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I would be careful. The wheel won't go anywhere, but you may get vibrations. Get this fixed as soon as possible. You have press the hub out, but while you are it replace all of the studs.

ghettogeddy
04-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Decided to change my brakes this morning, because when I would brake on the highway everything would shake. It was annoying. So I picked up new rotors & pads. Went to take the driver's rotor off and saw that one of the phillips screws that hold it on was ground up pretty bad. Quick slice across it with a dremel and I was able to use a flathead to take that out, no sweat. Did the brakes, buttoned it up. Went to the psgr side. 3 lug nuts came off no prob, but the last one was fighting me like crazy then bam, it snapped.

Took the wheel off and figured ah well, change the brakes and be done with it. Grabbed my hammer and started whacking away at the stud, figured I'd drive it out then pick up a new one tonight. Dumbass me didn't check for clearance first, hehe. When it wouldn't move anymore I glanced behind it and saw it had jammed into something and now I couldn't even turn the wheel. Well, 5 minutes with an angle grinder and the stud was history.

Just worried though about driving it with only 3 of 4 lugs. Think it would be OK for a 60 mile trip? I don't have time to screw with it now, just wondering how bad it is to drive like this.
should be fine just be real care full and take it easy
i once drove 2 months on 2 studs lol i did not know they were missing lol

Strahan
04-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Holy crap heh.

Do they have to be pressed? I was thinking of just putting it in then pulling it tight with the lug nut. Of course, that doesn't address the issue of how to get it in there. I just called Apple Honda, my local dealership. Their solution? They said I should grind one side of the new stud's head off lol.

So should I really have it pressed, or can I get away with pulling it in with the nut? I only get paid once a month and I'm already low on funds, hehe, so I'm trying to find a DIY solution but I don't want it to be unsafe if possible. Man being broke sucks :)

BITESIZE
04-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Do what the dealer said, that would work just fine.

ghettogeddy
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
lol i did it with out any of that stuff lol
just take the rotor and caliber off then rotate the hub to were the lil bump is on the back of the hub and slide the new one in then just tighten it down with the nut then take the nut off and put your wheel back on a tighten them up should be just fien

Strahan
04-18-2008, 01:21 PM
No bump on mine. I checked that, hoping against hope but to no avail heh.

BITESIZE
04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Just slice the lugshead halfway off and slide it in.

ghettogeddy
04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
No bump on mine. I checked that, hoping against hope but to no avail heh.

right behind the claiper there is a slot should be able to get it in there

ZackieDarko
04-18-2008, 01:24 PM
you will be fine

unknowingly, i went over 100mph on 2 studs 3 or 4 times and look at me im ok :-p

2oodoor
04-18-2008, 01:26 PM
my 2 c
If that is the passenger side front, I would not run it short on lug nuts, those are under a lot of strain. I have seen those pop the studs off from sport driving.
You can pull a new stud using an impact, but it will be a little tough with hand tools, If you do, get an extra nut, not acorn type, to do it with. Then use the acorn or whatever for the wheel. Put alot of washers under the pulling nut so it is not hard on the threads, and it shortens up how far you have to pull. Oil itup some before you pull it too.
I really do not understand quite what the dealer is telling you.
Acorn lug nuts are bad about stripping on these, next time you have one off, look inside at the threads and count how many are actually still there.

russiankid
04-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I tried grinding off half of the stud like the dealer told you, and I still couldn't get it to go in. I may have been doing it wrong, but pressing the hub out works as well.

lostforawhile
04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Holy crap heh.

Do they have to be pressed? I was thinking of just putting it in then pulling it tight with the lug nut. Of course, that doesn't address the issue of how to get it in there. I just called Apple Honda, my local dealership. Their solution? They said I should grind one side of the new stud's head off lol.

So should I really have it pressed, or can I get away with pulling it in with the nut? I only get paid once a month and I'm already low on funds, hehe, so I'm trying to find a DIY solution but I don't want it to be unsafe if possible. Man being broke sucks :)if you grind part of it off and turn it for clearance it will fit, have done it. you can pull the stud in with an old lug nut,you just need some half inch thick washers from the hardware store. if you try to use just the lug nut it won't be able to turn far enough, get the stud through the hub, then slip a washer over it,tighten the lug nut some then remove it and use another washer etc. this will pull it all the way up into the hub.

lostforawhile
04-18-2008, 03:43 PM
my 2 c
If that is the passenger side front, I would not run it short on lug nuts, those are under a lot of strain. I have seen those pop the studs off from sport driving.
You can pull a new stud using an impact, but it will be a little tough with hand tools, If you do, get an extra nut, not acorn type, to do it with. Then use the acorn or whatever for the wheel. Put alot of washers under the pulling nut so it is not hard on the threads, and it shortens up how far you have to pull. Oil itup some before you pull it too.
I really do not understand quite what the dealer is telling you.
Acorn lug nuts are bad about stripping on these, next time you have one off, look inside at the threads and count how many are actually still there.if you ever plan on replacing lugs, get the ARP studs, you can get them through summit and the price is reasonable. they are much stronger then stock, and they have a tapered end which helps prevent cross threading when you install lug nuts . really worth the money cheap insurance.

ghettogeddy
04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
ive done it with out the grinding trick
hell i did 2 of them im 100%sure

MessyHonda
04-19-2008, 06:45 AM
im sorry but i got happy...all i could think was time to upgrade to ARP extended studs....i always replace stuff with OEM or even aftermarket...but yeah 3 lugs is not bad...just dont drive over like 60mph

Dr_Snooz
04-19-2008, 09:26 PM
And no slaloms, skidpads or lateral acceleration tests! :)

AccordB20A
04-20-2008, 02:32 PM
your lucky you didnt fuck your wheel bearing bashing the stud out. i have fucked many wheel bearings by smashing shit with a hammer.

Strahan
04-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Yup. Got the new stud, took one a small part of the head off with my grinder and was able to hammer it in no prob. All's well that ends well :)

mykwikcoupe
05-10-2010, 07:50 PM
this worked like a charm. Thanks for the great help in a pinch

Civic Accord Honda
05-10-2010, 08:19 PM
your lucky you didnt fuck your wheel bearing bashing the stud out. i have fucked many wheel bearings by smashing shit with a hammer.

thats why i wont replace my broken one :lol:

mykwikcoupe
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
As I looked at the 2 broken studs from today I was thinking of installing my new 89 hubs, new bearing, new upper control arms, aem big brake kit, rebuilt calipers and stainless lines. Then I thought to myself. I need this car for work tomorrow. Had it happened on friday Id have legend rears with 11in rotors and type r fronts with 12.25 ion rotors but instead that will wait till further along in the summer

accordion89
05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
buy a lug, bum.....