PDA

View Full Version : Clicking/grinding under load (only when hot)

Purple_A20A1
04-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm having an issue with a terrible clicking noise coming from my left front wheel (or so it seems) after the engine has warmed up and only under load. I have replaced the wheel bearing, the drive axle, greased and torqued the suspension (replaced all of the bushings), flushed and replaced the transmission fluid. I still have the grinding.

I have an A20A1 (obviously) with a cold air intake, Accel superstock coil, NGK performance wires, Pacesetter header, 2.25" exhaust with a high flow muffler and catalytic converter, replaced the radiator to a high cooling model with 2 1000 cfm 10" puller fans, oil catch can, replaced all vacuum lines with silicone lines, removed and blocked off egr and air suction lines, and a grounding kit (along with a lot of accessories and gauge/neon add ons). It has over 160,000 miles on it, but most of the bottom end has been replaced.

The only thing I can imagine is that it would be related to the drivetrain as it only makes the noise under load and only when the engine is hot, but I did have the oil pump replaced about a year ago and that is when the noise first started happening. I know they did a crap job, and I ended up suing them for all of my money back, but the noise hasn't been found yet. I'm no stranger to this engine, and I would have done the job myself if I had the tools (mainly an engine hoist), but I am stumped. The only other possibility I can imagine is that when they installed the oil pump, they did not tighten the timing belt correctly and left it missing teeth at the cam gear so the timing is off. That being said, it would click even while not under load if that were the case.

So this is where I leave off and ask you for help. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world that has had this problem, but I cannot find advise on any other forums, and people seem to always be clueless when I confront them with this situation. I REALLY would appreciate any advise. Thanks in advance.

2oodoor
04-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Rather unusual post you created there^^^

what kind of CAI do you have, I like to see those on A20A1 since those are carbed engines.
160,000 miles is rather low mileage for a bottom end needing a n y t h i n g on these cars, again not so ordinary. You have eliminated sources for that noise which is what now? is it clicking or grinding :huh:
I would be glad to offer up things I would check, of course not hearing the noise myself or seeing the car: motor and tranny mounts comes to mind, as does checking the crankshaft pulley bolt along with other drive accesories in that area, covers etc. too. And of course it is possible you got JIPPED on the cv axle, may be another bad one.

2oodoor
04-19-2008, 12:12 PM
what is the year model of your car, and pics please, it sounds like you have it tyte

does it click grind with the radio off? defroster? one of mine made a strange noise like that and it turned out to be a servo in the dash

Civic Accord Honda
04-19-2008, 12:23 PM
my engine makes grinding and clicking sounds under load too =/ i did a compression test and it was not too good

Purple_A20A1
04-19-2008, 12:30 PM
I have checked all accessories and their pulleys. As for the axle, this is the second one in 2 months (I had a reman and I swapped it for a brand new one). I work at Advance Auto Parts, so I have my pick of good parts (I get to inspect them thoroughly). I did suspect a mount, but they are in pretty good shape. It is more of a grinding sound. It is certainly a noise that you would need to hear. I don't have the equipment to record it yet. As for the CAI, it is custom, and as for the year, it is an '89. I have no pictures yet.

2oodoor
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
all of that custom work done on your engine, and working at PDQ ...no car pictures on your spacey. whut you not really a car guy?
noob dues.. lol

Purple_A20A1
04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I guess that makes me proud to be a "noob". That just means I don't spend every waking moment on my computer rather than actually doing something with myself. If that was an insult, let's let 'em fly, but if not, thanks for the replies.

lostforawhile
04-19-2008, 01:02 PM
I guess that makes me proud to be a "noob". That just means I don't spend every waking moment on my computer rather than actually doing something with myself. If that was an insult, let's let 'em fly, but if not, thanks for the replies.
you can host your pics free on photobucket.com most everyone here uses them.

turabaka
04-19-2008, 01:08 PM
how is posting pics of your car considered spending every waking moment on the computer. It takes five minutes. You definitely are a noob if you don't know that we're all picture whores here at 3geez. Welcome to the site, and we're not insulting you. Just messing around a bit. heh

2oodoor
04-19-2008, 01:34 PM
hard to tell ain't it
I will say this, you are pretty concise and a fairly good typist to have written a pretty dang much error free long post, you have spacey place which is way more than I have, and you learned about what to do to your 3rd gen Accord pretty much to the level of a hardcore member here.. lets see.. hmmmm that tells me you have spent your fair share of time in front of a computer.
But you make a strong point about doing something with yourself, kudos :welcome:
If the noise is recordable you can try that, I am sure someone will hear it and be able to nail it for you. Otherwise it seems like you have checked and double checked , even replacing brand new parts. Then you decided to sign up and post in search of a quick answer, despite the very well educated effort you have already applied "hands on" resolve to and not just "virtual" resolve. Hey, if you have been lurking you gotta know why that is unusual.
Now, does the sound change when you turn the wheel left to right? You say only under engine load, in reverse too? Through the whole rpm range or just inside a certan range? Have you had any starter problems ? Do you think it could be the T belt tensioner, tensioner bolt loose? drive pulley misalignment? power steering bracket bolts all there? sure? AC compressor mount bolts all present and secure? How does the car run? any other random issues at all?

2oodoor
04-19-2008, 02:03 PM
The only thing I can imagine is that it would be related to the drivetrain as it only makes the noise under load and only when the engine is hot, but I did have the oil pump replaced about a year ago and that is when the noise first started happening. I know they did a crap job, and I ended up suing them for all of my money back, but the noise hasn't been found yet. I'm no stranger to this engine, and I would have done the job myself if I had the tools (mainly an engine hoist), but I am stumped. The only other possibility I can imagine is that when they installed the oil pump, they did not tighten the timing belt correctly and left it missing teeth at the cam gear so the timing is off. That being said, it would click even while not under load if that were the case.

can you elaborate, if you do not mind sharing, more about the time line of events in the above "situation" for lack of better words. Why did you want the oil pump replaced? I am not trying to be a smartass, it just helps to know some history. How did you know they did a crap job, something else wrong with the car? You sued? what was your case? You must have recouped enough money to pay a lawyer and get your money back, how the hell much did they charge you to make it worth it? dam..They did not try to sell you a timing belt job while they had it apart? Why would you need an engine hoist to change the oil pump? They charge you for a timing belt? Im trying to help you get to the bottom of this noise.
Some of these motors make a noise when they get warm, it sounds like a very faint rod knock. No body seems to know exactly what that is, mine did it pretty bad before I resealed the oil pump. Some say it is valve lash adjustment, and I did notice that some of the rockers are able to "walk" on the rocker shaft a bit, they do have spring thrusters to keep them marching in place but like the number three and I think two intake side are able to move all the way off the valve stem. If the lash was not right on those I could see how that would make that sound kinda like shaking the shitoutta the yatzee dice cup.

Ichiban
04-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Awesome.

I see you have an aftermarket exhaust and header. Have you ever suspected a clearance/heatshield/hanger problem that might not be apparent until the engine is under load and mounts are flexing?

race12001
04-19-2008, 05:04 PM
what about your motor mounts

Purple_A20A1
04-20-2008, 06:49 PM
First off, thanks for the welcome and I apologize for taking offense so quickly. I have done a lot to this car. To answer your question about the history with the previous mechanic, I had the guy initially bring it in to do the oil pump job. Without my consent or knowledge, he then did the timing belt (no problem there) replaced the coil, distributor (which didn't need it), plugs and wires (which were brand new), oil change, transmission flush, and coolant change (which was fresh). Long story short, he charged me over $1500 (!!) for stuff I didn't need done without even telling me until it came billing time. He forgot to put MANY bolts back on the vehicle, and the vehicle has been clicking on acceleration ever since he did the job. I have pulled the engine apart myself and torqued all bolts and made sure that everything was accounted for. I was pissed (needless to say). I bought the damn car for $1000. I didn't need to pay $1500 for repairs I could do myself (which wouldn't cost near that amount). So, since then, I haven't let another soul touch my car. I trust no one, so I'll have to do it myself. I'm using my guitarist's garage and lift, so I'm getting the tools I need gradually. I would like a hoist because I'd like to get to everything easy, but because it is my daily driver I have to do what I can. I have checked all pulleys, bolts, nuts, accessories, belts and I really need to also run a compression test (which will most likely be this weekend). Anyway, this is getting too long, so I'll end it here for right now.

Purple_A20A1
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Also, I will try to get some pictures on soon and also get some sound clips.

Bass Man
04-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Lets get some things out of the way.

Does it make the noise only when the car is moving? Or can you make the noise by revving the engine?

Does it stay constant with how fast you are going, or the RPM the car is at?

Did you time it right or where it was at before you jumped teeth?

If I don't get at least plus gas, my engine pings pretty bad cuz of how far I advanced the timing.

ghettogeddy
04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
they just want to see who you manged a cai on a carb lol thats all

ghettogeddy
04-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Lets get some things out of the way.

Does it make the noise only when the car is moving? Or can you make the noise by revving the engine?

Does it stay constant with how fast you are going, or the RPM the car is at?

Did you time it right or where it was at before you jumped teeth?

If I don't get at least plus gas, my engine pings pretty bad cuz of how far I advanced the timing.

you also might want to look into the possibility of it being a warped rotor or bad caliper

also make sure all the acc belt s are in good shape such as alt ac ps one of the pullys could be stiffing up due to the jack ass that did your oil pump

Purple_A20A1
04-20-2008, 07:22 PM
The noise only happens when vehicle is moving and increases with RPM (but it doesn't sound like knocking) and it only happens when the engine is hot. Now, you also must know that I do have a accel coil and NGK plugs gapped at .050" with a slightly advanced timing (about 2 degrees). I've checked valve clearances too (just to eliminate a few things), but I do use 89 octane, but again, it really doesn't sound like pinging.

Purple_A20A1
04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I was thinking about the driver's caliper at one point, and the rotors are brand new, but nothing seems to be sticking and the wear pattern is average.

Bass Man
04-20-2008, 10:23 PM
It's a motor issue, but only when it's moving....

I gotta point to a mount.

Demon1024
04-21-2008, 02:00 AM
I'd hate to say it's the oil pump,but thats what it sounds like to me. i haven't replaced it yet but,pretty sure thats the issue. no noise on moderate accel in gear or in nuetral. click/clack in gear pushing it

2oodoor
04-21-2008, 03:32 AM
PUrple have you looked into any of the suggestions and questions? too many questions, I know.. sorry but that helps working things out in the old noggin.

Ok since you play I expect no less than 16 track, 5 mic placements, of the recording of the noise :cheers:

the first one I would check is the pacesetter header hitting the crossmember:)you have so many spot on modifications it is , I don't know quite what to say to that.

That mechanic shop recollection must bring back some feelings, understandable.

headbanger
05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
my dx was just doing the same thing to me after i replaced timing belt it took a couple of tries to get it timed right to where it didnt do it any more but what ur saying is the exact same thing it was doing.:cheers:

labeledsk8r
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
it does sound like pinging or detination to me... i have had this problem on BOTH of my accords. have you tried checking your timeing and also checking your dizzy, the pins in the dizzy can get worn out and can loose its timeing. also try running 93 octain for a tank or 2 and it should cut down on the noise.. i know you said it doesnt seem like pinging but from what you said that seems like the best answer