PDA

View Full Version : No crank/accessories, good bat. Help!

kadinga
04-19-2008, 05:47 PM
87 accord exi running a20a3 efi and partial obd refuses to crank. Radio, dash lights, etc dont work. The only thing that works is the headlights and foglights I recently installed because they run on a separate circuit. At first, all the lights were fine but when attempting to start, the lights would dim, the fuel pump would go and I got a click from the starter solenoid. Day after, nothing. Slapped in a junkyard starter assembly on account for the bad solenoid. Still, nothing. The battery and contacts are good, no power to ignition switch though. Had this thing for 2 years and wouldnt mind 2 more. Are there any relays or fuses I'm overlooking here or what?

Pico
04-19-2008, 05:56 PM
have you check the battery ground,I had that sort of problem when my ground connection was loose.

Hauntd ca3
04-19-2008, 06:46 PM
check the main fuse under the hood
seen those go before and you get nothing happenning

Bass Man
04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a dying battery or loose ground.

Did you do anything prior to this problem??

ghettogeddy
04-19-2008, 07:39 PM
or a bad ignition switch

Pico
04-19-2008, 07:40 PM
or a bad ignition switch
X2

itzdave
04-19-2008, 08:30 PM
yup, id say bad ign switch or bad ground, maybe check/replace the one that goes to the valve cover, or just follow the one from the battery and make sure its got good contact.

Dr_Snooz
04-19-2008, 09:19 PM
or a bad ignition switch

x4

Demon1024
04-19-2008, 10:47 PM
check the main fuse under the hood
seen those go before and you get nothing happenning
2x
""The battery and contacts are good, no power to ignition switch though. Had this thing for 2 years and wouldnt mind 2 more. Are there any relays or fuses I'm overlooking here or what?""

you'd still get power to the ignition switch even if it was bad.
check that main fuse under the hood,I'm bout 90% thats it. wouldn't hurt to check grounds, but you'd have to have a hell of a ground problem for nothing to come on. the head lights hooked straight to the battery? you can try hooking them to chassis ground to test that ground since you know they work. Hell extra grounds won't hurt anything and these cars don't have the best ground wires stock.
Nothing works but the lights? clock? blinkers?

kadinga
04-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Sooo, the main fuse went. I fixed that but still no start or accessories. Grounds are fine, lights work, horn works, power locks work, etc. No radio, clock, ac, fuel pump or crank. Prior to this mess, I had recently crafted an adjustable fpr. When I tested it in the car, the membrane inside ruptured and some seals went and fuel sprayed everywhere. Later I fixed it and tried to start it but all I got was a click from the solenoid and a brief hum from the fuel pump. I also accidently tried to start it when the alternator was out. Beyond that, this car has been driven regularly, not necessarily on the road always:) but it has never refused to start bar my old fuel filter giving up.
I appreciate all the quick responses!

Bass Man
04-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Dang it... There's too much to explain how I would trouble shoot this problem. I could figure it out in no more than 10 minutes garenteed...

Let me think of some stuff to put down.

What it sounds like to me is something in your key switch...
Have you checked all your fuses?? It sounds like you aren't getting a 12v source to your key switch.

Bass Man
04-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Take that cover off the steering wheel colum in the car, then start poking around that switch with a light tester. I think there should be either 1 or 2 constant power wires going to the switch...

kadinga
04-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Take that cover off the steering wheel colum in the car, then start poking around that switch with a light tester. I think there should be either 1 or 2 constant power wires going to the switch...

and neither have anything above .06 volts. I tried jumping a cable from the horn source (12.05 volts) over to the acc wire and nada. The wire is fine all the way into the relay/fuse area (clean circuit) and I cant seem to locate any fuses for it.
I'll check the resistance across the circuits on the ignition with the key "on" and the voltage across various associated fuses. I nearly just took out the entire dash, hard to see whats happening under there...

Demon1024
04-21-2008, 02:07 AM
you sure you didn't just blow the fuse again! lol might be a short.