PDA

View Full Version : now THAT'S Hot

2oodoor
04-21-2008, 10:42 AM
stuck caliper slides on a front disc brake, heated the rotor so hot it melted the valve stem cap and burned a hole in the hubcap
now think how hot that has to be, there is air and a wheel in between the valve cap.... don't think too hard though cuz it was hot air coming off the slots in the wheel!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1208802791.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1208804272.jpg

2oodoor
04-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Im going to try and get a better pic of that valve stem cap by tommorrow, this is pretty freaky as I have been doing this kind of work for a LONG time and never saw this happen before. The piston rubber seals look like they caught fire at one point, they are ash and smell bad.
sorry I should have put this in general since it is not Honda, but it could happen if you let your caliper slides rust up or freeze up where they do not allow the caliper to "float"

2ndGenGuy
04-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Wow frozen calipers FTL! I imagine you got quite the cementite buildup on your rotors from that... err you warped them. Wow that's hardcore man. Did the air blow out of the tire from that?

Dr_Snooz
04-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Far out! Never seen that before. I have seen a frozen slide bolt on a 3gee before, though. All that happened was one pad wore out and the others were still new.

Thanks for the post!

Oldblueaccord
04-21-2008, 04:51 PM
My Scout has done it. The slides and stuff get so rusty that the calipers basically won't release. Its somewhat function of a poor slide design as well(Ford Bendix).

wp

2ndGenGuy
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I warped the crap out of one of my brand new rotors on the 1g. Somehow one of the pads got wedged in behind the caliper bracket and was putting constant pressure on the rotor. The idiot I was took it for a test drive anyways. It got hot as shit after only about 1/8 mile up the road and back. Being that the rotor is inside the pressed hub, it's a mega-bitch to replace. Hopefully I can get it turned on the car. :-(

88Accord-DX
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Seen this old girlfriend that kept driving with the brake pads grinding on the rotors, the rim shot off the car & the spindle skidded for about 30 feet. :cheers:

MessyHonda
04-22-2008, 12:15 AM
wow...that sucks...i need to replace my calipers

2oodoor
04-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Wow frozen calipers FTL! I imagine you got quite the cementite buildup on your rotors from that... err you warped them. Wow that's hardcore man. Did the air blow out of the tire from that?

no the tire was fine, that is what was frealky too , I was thinking how the hell did the valve stem cap melt when it is isolated by a aired up tire and a wheel and the valve stem itself.. But it took a second to realize it was the hot air for the cherry red rotor that melted it. The rim has slots in it to pull the heat away from the rotor.

Remember centerline racing wheels? they had no preferations in the rim and were known for warping rotors because the heat could not get out.

partyharty
04-22-2008, 05:37 AM
I was once driving a geo tracker when the brakes seized up (on one side). The spindle sheered off and the tire shot up in the air, went over a set of power lines, and when it hit the ground it rolled down a side street. I very gingerly put the tracker in the ditch.

Now how do I know all this happened (I was busy at the time so I found out about this afterwards). A guy was following me and told me what happened and his buddy told me the tire was ................on fire :huh:

never did find that tire

Hazwan
04-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Wow frozen calipers FTL! I imagine you got quite the cementite buildup on your rotors from that... err you warped them.

:lol:

2oodoor
04-22-2008, 06:19 AM
CEMENTITE..... AGGGHHHHH

2ndGG you are just wrong dude :cheers:

Hazwan
04-22-2008, 06:21 AM
CEMENTITE..... AGGGHHHHH

2ndGG you are just wrong dude :cheers:

Rotors won't warp. its CEMENTITE!!!!111