PDA

View Full Version : woot :)

87newb
04-22-2008, 04:36 PM
okay so my 87 accord dx is still running great, 120k miles. i got new air filter k&n. i put in plat +4 spark plugs. i havent had much time to do much else to it lately, trying to get my GED and work at the same time. but anyways. I am in need of a new timing belt and a new water pump and a radiator hose. (any ideas how much this might run me?)

i still havent gotten a chance to get any pictures up, no camera.

also i have another question, i searched and cant find anything pertaining to this certain spot. Can i spray carb cleaner into the wire mesh inside the air box without messing up my car in any way shape or form??

russiankid
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Are you going to the work yourself? If so, parts will probably run you $100, possibly even less.

87newb
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
i want to do the work myself, but ive never done any of it. id like to learn how cuz paying labor is a bitch. my friend said he can do it all for $350 parts included. but i wanna learn to do it so i can actually say "I DID THIS" or "I DID THAT" to my 3gee. any advice? and also anyone got an answer to my question about the carb cleaner?

russiankid
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
i want to do the work myself, but ive never done any of it. id like to learn how cuz paying labor is a bitch. my friend said he can do it all for $350 parts included. but i wanna learn to do it so i can actually say "I DID THIS" or "I DID THAT" to my 3gee. any advice? and also anyone got an answer to my question about the carb cleaner?

Download the shop manual from Paul's website. As for the carb cleaner, yes you can. Only thing is don't let the engine die, so spray it in small bursts. You can spray it down really well with the engine off, and let it sit for a bit, then start the engine and run it all out.

87newb
04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
okay, thanks dude:)

MessyHonda
04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
i paid like 120 for the water pump, timing belt, tensioner from honda. but i get a discount cuz i know the parts guy

87newb
04-23-2008, 04:32 PM
im sure i could do it all for pretty cheap if i could do it myself, and i know i can do it myself, just gotta learn a lil bit, so i dont fuck anything up. lol. but yeah, i seafoamed like 30 minutes ago and i didnt even get any smoke? i poured about 2/3 in the gas tank and the rest in the oil, like the can said i could. but i just went out there, started up my car, revved for like 3-4 minutes, and i got nothing. i dont understand, did i do something wrong???

Dr_Snooz
04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, $120 sounds about right for just those three parts, but it's never a bad idea to replace the cam and crank seals, belt tensioner (if you never have) and to re-seal the oil pump while you have everything open. Probably $180 all told.

And yeah, definitely consult the shop manual before doing anything.

Good luck!

87newb
04-24-2008, 02:11 AM
sweet, doesnt sound too bad. still....any ideas about the seafoam? has my mind racing, i cant stop thinking about it:confused:

like i said, i poured 2/3 of the bottle into the gas tank and 1/3 into the crank case. my car was on a half tank and cooled down. i wanted to see the cool smoke and all the crap that gets cleaned outta my system. :p

edit: what all CAN i spray with the carb&choke cleaner and what CANT or SHOULDN'T i? sorry for the noob question...but thats what i am. haha

russiankid
04-24-2008, 03:47 AM
sweet, doesnt sound too bad. still....any ideas about the seafoam? has my mind racing, i cant stop thinking about it:confused:

like i said, i poured 2/3 of the bottle into the gas tank and 1/3 into the crank case. my car was on a half tank and cooled down. i wanted to see the cool smoke and all the crap that gets cleaned outta my system. :p

edit: what all CAN i spray with the carb&choke cleaner and what CANT or SHOULDN'T i? sorry for the noob question...but thats what i am. haha

You can spray anything with carb cleaner on the carb. I use it to clean all linkages, check for vacuum leaks, just about everything.

87newb
04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
hmm, k thanks. im still confused about the seafoam. one of my friends told me that the reason i didnt get a bunch of smoke is cuz i didnt put any in the brake booster, but i dont even know where that is on my car. :( gah im sucha newb. can anybody either tell me where this is or have any kind of description where it might be. its a 1987 honda accord dx 2.0l carb

EDIT:*** lmao im dumb, i found it so nevermind about the brake booster.

thanks for the help:)

AccordB20A
04-26-2008, 04:11 PM
good to see a man whos trying to learn how to work on an accord!!!!! saves $100s in labour charges doesnt it lol

87newb
04-26-2008, 08:40 PM
haha, yeah saves tons of $$ and advances my knowledge. all in all i love my accord. but tonight, im so heated about tonight. some idiots i was driving by threw a freakin' squid at my car and it hit my rear driver window. the juices splattered all over my car and STUNK. im lucky that window was up. but my baby got a bath at my girlfriends house so thats a plus lol:p

MessyHonda
04-28-2008, 08:15 PM
that sucks about the people not respecting other peoples shit...thats why i set my alarm to low...but now every other loud car sets it off...i got to go back to normal