PDA

View Full Version : What is obd1?

Reptile
04-23-2008, 05:22 AM
I heard another user mention this and I tried doing a search to find out but was unable to get a description of what this is and what it does for our cars.

Can anyone help me out please?

86nlife2go
04-23-2008, 05:41 AM
OBD1 or OverActive Balla Disorder, Stage 1 in this case is what's wrong with 90% of todays youth....oh....wait, you meant...yeah. OBD1 allows you to tune and or check/diagnose your automobile using a computer system to run your vehicle

Reptile
04-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Is that like a stand alone fuel management system?

I am sorry I am really a bit of a newb at this. I want to learn, just could not find the info on my own.

And you are completely correct about todays youth! I laughed. :)

86nlife2go
04-23-2008, 05:55 AM
sorry man, here

On-Board Diagnostics, or OBD, in an automotive context, is a generic term referring to a vehicle's self-diagnostic and reporting capability. OBD systems give the vehicle owner or a repair technician access to state of health information for various vehicle sub-systems. The amount of diagnostic information available via OBD has varied widely since the introduction in the early 1980s of on-board vehicle computers, which made OBD possible. Early instances of OBD would simply illuminate a malfunction indicator light, or MIL, if a problem were detected—but would not provide any information as to the nature of the problem. Modern OBD implementations use a standardized fast digital communications port to provide realtime data in addition to a standardized series of diagnostic trouble codes, or DTCs, which allow one to rapidly identify and remedy malfunctions within the vehicle

Reptile
04-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Ok, then how would one utilize that in our cars?

The ECM (the black computer box under the drivers seat) in my 87 LX-i hatch is dead, rather than replace it I am trying to figure out if there is an upgrade to improve the performance of the car at the same time as making a repair.

I really know very little, only that such things as OBD and stand alone fuel management systems exist (are they actually the same thing?). I do not know what the difference between OBD0 and OBD1 is and where to go get one even if I did. I am working with a level of information that comes from watching The Fast and the Furious, which we can all agree is an abysmal source of information on cars under even the best of circumstances.

I am trying to learn but do not know where to go so I came here.

86nlife2go
04-23-2008, 07:10 AM
. It is not the same as a stand alone fuel management system. But I believe you need to go OBD1 to have a stand alone fuel management system. This is prolly the best place to learn about these cars man.

this thread was about someone who actually converted to OBD1.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18160&highlight=Search...go+obd1+dizzy&page=16

labeledsk8r
04-23-2008, 08:05 AM
just FYI going obd1 iis not a simple plug in peice.... you have to do a custom wireing harnes you have to figure out what ECU your going to use and tune it, you have to use a 4th gen accord dizzy wich would mean you have to either make it custom to fit or wait for the adapter plate that is being developed, you have ot install another 02 sensor just before your catilatic converter. and many more.... only about 5-10 peaople on here are running obd1 so if your needing just the meaning of obd1 explained then this swap might not be for you

Reptile
04-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, one of those 5-10 members mentioned it in another topic of mine and I was simply curious. Now that I know more it is probably not something I am going to care for. The only power increasing mods I intended to do to the car were CAI, headers, and exhaust as well as a bored out throttle body. That was going to be it. I am mostly focusing on the handling characteristics of our cars; I'm going to try and improve that as much as possible. No need to go further unless I can no longer get my hands on an ECU and I know I can.

I want the car more for cruising and long trips in the 70-85MPH range so 0-60 in 4 seconds is not really a goal of mine. Well that and spanking some ricer kids ass on the rare occasion such a thing is needed. You know what I mean.

MessyHonda
04-23-2008, 01:45 PM
i have an obd1 system running in my car that i daily drive....what i did was do it for the tunning purpose...thats why i can drive normal with a stage 2 cam. i didnt really feel a power increase all i felt is that the power band is way smoother...its a constant pull to redline...and with our stock system it pulls to like 4k rpm then it pulls even more till around 5700 rpm

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Be advised that in most cases, an OBD1 conversion involves modifying the cylinder head to accept a 4th generation Accord distributor. I drove a 4th gen for a couple years and it's definitely not a better distributor. The distributor and igniter module are well known for simply konking out and leaving you stranded, in need of a tow :gun::

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1993&make=Honda&model=Accord

Mine did this to me, and I wasn't impressed in the least little bit. :rant: In fact, I gave the car away (for that and other reasons). There's a lot of hate being vented around the web about it :madflip::

http://www.earthrenewal.org/are_honda_automobiles_safe_and_r.htm

This distributor was pretty commonly used in all Hondas and apparently Acuras in the early '90s, so it's not a 4th gen Accord specific issue. The 3gee distributors are all getting old and tired and exhibiting a lot of various issues, but konking out and leaving you stranded is not one of them. I really can't think of any good reason to spend a lot of time, money and effort converting to a less reliable distributor.

MessyHonda
04-24-2008, 07:16 PM
the 92-93 accord ones are the best because they use a external coil....that is when my blaster 2 coil comes in....

Reptile
04-24-2008, 08:25 PM
My younger brother had a 93 accord, that coil was a piece of shit and a true mother to attempt to replace.

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh, and I forgot to tell you that the OBD1 threads are in the Performance -> Research section of the website. They're worth a read over.