PDA

View Full Version : Steering tuning?

cyra
04-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Do you have any idea how to lower the steering ratio? on my EDM there is almost 4 spins from left to right which is stupid.... Is there any chance to swap it for example to something around 3 spins, or even better 2,5spins ?

thanx

2oodoor
04-26-2008, 03:27 AM
A lot of us would like to see that!
I have not seen anything like that on any of the forums, but I have wondered if you could adapt a manual fox body rack to these cars. They sell those aftermarket for racing applications, and the fox design racks (mustang II, pinto, capri ) are used universally in a lot of chassis set ups on various race frames.
It also may be possible to use a rack from another FWD car (toyota, mazda) but it would have to be fabricated and some research would be needed as to physical properties. This has not been posted anywere thought that I have seen anyway.
Neither of these swaps would be bolt in, for sure

Dr_Snooz
04-26-2008, 07:50 AM
I've never heard of anyone wanting to mess with Honda steering. It's about as good as is possible for mortal man to create. Especially on these cars. If you want more play and less precision and a lot of work to get there, rock on!

Oldblueaccord
04-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Change the size of the steering wheel is all I can think of.

wp

Nafs Asdf
04-26-2008, 09:10 AM

wp

Wouldn't that still require the same amount of rotations? It would reduce the distance you have to move your hand tho. (Assuming you get a smaller one)

AZmike
04-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Another option would be to check for other honda uprights with shorter steering arms that are otherwise compatible the the suspension, brakes and axles.

2drSE-i
04-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Shuffle steering FTW!

Push, pull push, pull

AccordB20A
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
i wonder if racks from other hondas might fit. like a civic one

ghettogeddy
04-26-2008, 05:30 PM
if im not correct i believe the high end drifters have a very short turn rate might want to look into that

MessyHonda
04-28-2008, 08:09 PM

wp

yeah i heard of that too....that the steering maneuvers are a bit more responsive...you can also upgrade to a nice after market wheel

Hauntd ca3
04-29-2008, 01:06 AM
would be worth finding out how much space there is round the factory pinion gear in the rack and have another made to make he steering quicker.
dont think it would be to hard for a company who can cut gears.
just have to supply the diameter availiable and the pitch of tooth required

2oodoor
04-29-2008, 05:37 AM
on second thought, I am not all that sure I would want that short of a rack on a front wheel drive car /maybe just a little bit / although I would like a true manual rack without just gutting the PS type.

88LXi68
04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
I have a manual rack and I am bit disappointed. I had put on an aftermarket steering wheel and I think it is just too small for a manual rack. I feel like I am constantly turning the damn thing. Previously, I had removed the power steering system and was just running the power rack with a little fluid inside. It was much harder in a parking lot, but the performance of it seemed better. I am going to buy a bigger steering wheel and see if that helps.

evil88accordLX
04-29-2008, 09:37 AM
^^^
a bigger diameter wheel would make it easier to turn your tires, thus the reason the steering wheels on semis are so huge. however, it wont change the lock to lock ratio.

as far as a quicker ratio from lock to lock is concerned, there are shorter geared steering boxes. a friend of mine is building an 86 corolla drift car and is considering putting the aftermarket box in. i believe he said it makes the lock to lock just over one complete turn. now while this would be spectacular for drifting and dirt track racing, i think it might actually be kinda dangerous for a DD because the steering would be so quick it wouldnt take much to oversteer the car. and if someone else drove the car and didnt know about it, i would almost guarantee they would probably hit something. i will ask him about the box when i see him next.

evil88accordLX
04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
okay, i saw my friend and he said that TRD (tyoyota racing development) makes a gearset that replaces the stock gearset inside the steering box. he then said that Quaife also produces a faster gearset for his steering box. now i know that the TRD gears would be useless in a honda, but Quaife make parts for all different manufacturers, so quite possibly they have a gearset that will work in a 3gee. i havent looked at their catalogue so i dont know for sure, but even if not i wouldnt imagine it would be too difficult to use gears for a different honda. and he also told me that it knocks the lock to lock ratio down to 1 turn.

Oldblueaccord
04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Its the same as changing you tires size. It does not change the actual gear ratio on you axle but it changes the effects. Same with the steering wheel size. Smaller wheel changes the distance around. And yes you will feel more effort since you have less leverage over all.

Summit sells a little reducer for open wheel I have seen but I doubt there street legal. Its goes on the steering shaft before the rack/box.

wp