PDA

View Full Version : Possible valve knock/tap or other?

russiankid
04-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I replaced my valve cover gasket, and the next day I started it up to check for leaks. I drove it around and no problems. I come back home pop the hood and I notice this knock/tap sound coming from the cam gear side of the valve cover. So I pulled the cover back off, checked all of the valves. Some needed adjustment, but some didn't. The exhaust valves were loose, but I readjusted them and torqued them down to spec. So after reassembly, car runs great, idles smooth, but the damned knock/tap is still there. Maybe I haven't noticed it before, but I would like to know what it is. Here is a video I took, if a better description is needed regarding this sound please let me know.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/th_S6301315.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/?action=view&current=S6301315.flv)

2oodoor
04-26-2008, 04:03 PM
if it is new, maybe a piece of the old gasket got in there somewhere or the gear cover is hitting the gear somehow. Touch the cover and see if you can feel it besides hearing it.

russiankid
04-26-2008, 04:06 PM
if it is new, maybe a piece of the old gasket got in there somewhere or the gear cover is hitting the gear somehow. Touch the cover and see if you can feel it besides hearing it.

I took a screw driver and placed it on the studs on the cover and put my ear on it. I heard the valves but they weren't loud. The cover feels smooth as well. I will go check if anything is hitting it.

P.S. I looked around everywhere and I didn't see any old pieces of the gasket. Also, the gasket came out in one piece.

Civic Accord Honda
04-26-2008, 04:08 PM
that dont sound good :(

AccordB20A
04-26-2008, 04:19 PM
what about the bolt holding the cam pulley to the cam. sounds loose as in there or the cambelts loose/self destructing

russiankid
04-26-2008, 04:28 PM
what about the bolt holding the cam pulley to the cam. sounds loose as in there or the cambelts loose/self destructing

Belt tension is good, I am going to go check the cam pulley.

russiankid
04-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Ok I just checked the cam gear, it is tight. I checked the belt, tension is good. I checked if anything was hitting the cam gear, couldn't find anything. I am stumped as the car runs great. Could this be the timing belt tensioner?

lostforawhile
04-26-2008, 04:47 PM
could be but it didn't start until after you adjusted the valves,are they adjusted right?

russiankid
04-26-2008, 04:59 PM
could be but it didn't start until after you adjusted the valves,are they adjusted right?

It may have been there, but I noticed it after I changed my valve cover gasket. Snooping around for a leak, I found this noise. I didn't touch the valves when I did the gasket. So after hearing this noise I pulled it off again and readjusted the valves.The noise did not change, so it is not the valves, well at least I don't think they are.

AccordB20A
04-26-2008, 05:06 PM
dunno what it could be unless it is the tensioner bearing or water pump even might not even be on the cam belt
my water pump on the a18 made that noise

russiankid
04-26-2008, 05:06 PM
dunno what it could be unless it is the tentioner beating or water pump even might not even be on the cam belt
my water pump on the a18 made that noise

The water pump was done in December of 2006. Since then it has been 10,000 miles. By the way, I put a screw driver onto the pump and listened to it, it is nice and quiet.

russiankid
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Ok guys, I think I found the issue. I put a screw driver to the timing belt tensioner bolt, and what do you know...that son of a bitch is clicking and clacking. Guess it's time for a new belt and tensioner.

AccordB20A
04-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Problem Solved:)

russiankid
04-26-2008, 08:01 PM
I am glad I caught thing on time until some serious damage was done!

MessyHonda
04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
good job sam

Dr_Snooz
04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the follow up! It helps for the next time this comes up.