PDA

View Full Version : noob here! i need some help...lol!

89T
04-27-2008, 06:19 AM
OK so i am not a noob, but i need some sugestions.

last fall, i just installed a 8 lb flywheel sprung 6 puck and clutch net 3x red pressure plate and a LSD.
I Was out with a friend doing some pulls. We take off from a light and the car went through 1st and 2nd fine, I pulled 3rd and still seemed fine. I got to the top of 3rd and it felt like the trans exploded(it pop-ed out of third). The trans would not go into any gear. I got the car stopped and still nothing it wouldn't go in to gear.i kill the motor and it would cycle through the gears fine except rev and 5th. i get the car home and pull the trans and open it up.
after 2 hours i couldn't find a dam thing wrong.
I started messing with the linkage and figured something must be bent. i pulled the linkage out of a spare installed it. I set the case on and it shifted fine.
i reinstalled the trans road tested it and all is good driving normally.
i went to do a 1st through 3rd pull. 1st was good 2nd was good and grind-grind 3rd.
the trans goes into 3rd easy at a lower rpm and normal shift.
when i try to shift into 3rd at high rpm and a fast shift or even a high rpm normal shift it will either grind or not go in at all.
all the gears and syncros look fine, there are no chips or excessive wear.
any suggestions?

russiankid
04-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Is the clutch adjusted correctly? I would get hard shifts into 3rd when my clutch cable had to much slack.

89T
04-27-2008, 07:42 AM
initialy i had left it where the stock clutch was set at and it would not go into gear.
i actually had to muscle the cable then adjust it to get it to shift into gear.
i adjusted it again because rev had a slight grind.
do you feel i need to adjust it even more? there is no play and the cable is tight as fuk.

ghettogeddy
04-27-2008, 08:17 AM
initialy i had left it where the stock clutch was set at and it would not go into gear.
do you feel i need to adjust it even more? there is no play and the cable is tight as fuk.

if it was a prob before id start there

russiankid
04-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Thats weird. So if you tighten the cable the problems get better, so I assume it's the clutch.

89T
04-27-2008, 08:31 AM
the more i tighten the cable it seems to get better.
there really is no slip on the clutch. it's either full grab or nothin at all.
the clutch has to have less than100 miles on it.
it's getting to the point where i hate to even drive it.

Oldblueaccord
04-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Well if your sure about the clutch adjustment I would suspect syncros. Quick shifting and power kill syncros. You might need to compare them to a new one to see if there bad. Its usually the angle of the teeth that make the hole thing work and if they wear even just a little then there just hanging up instead of doing there job.

As far as the clutch, to check for slip, on a level area trying taking off from fourth maybe from a slight roll and get into it. If it bogs down shudders its grabbing good. With your power level you maybe able to just take off that way. Its the most stressful on the clutch if its slips its adjustment or its shot(worn).

wp

russiankid
04-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the clutch is slipping a little bit, wouldn't it be easier on the synchro's? So if you tighten the clutch, it may not be noticeable slippage but enough to make shifts better as it is easier for the synchro's? Sorry if this sounds stupid, I am not well educated in this area.

ghettogeddy
04-27-2008, 08:54 AM
if the clutch is under 100 miles your about 400 under a break in period wait till about 500 miles to start ripping into it

Oldblueaccord
04-27-2008, 08:59 AM
"i just installed a 8 lb flywheel sprung 6 puck and clutch net 3x red pressure plate and a LSD"

also this is not really street friendly set up :violin:

Russsiankid if the clutch is set up to tight it makes it hard to go into the gears. as far as slipping I dunno how that might effect it either way.

wp

gfrg88
04-27-2008, 09:20 AM
i always use to have this problem too... only in third gear. i would have to granny shift into third or it wouldnt go in at all. also had the same problem when i had my teggy, my brothers hatchback has the same problem too.. maybe its just like a honda thing, where 3rd grinds :dunno:

89T
04-27-2008, 09:35 AM
if the clutch is under 100 miles your about 400 under a break in period wait till about 500 miles to start ripping into it
mabe you'r right... I should have waited to post this till then. but dam the amount of adjustment i have just does not seem right.

Well if your sure about the clutch adjustment I would suspect syncros. Quick shifting and power kill syncros. You might need to compare them to a new one to see if there bad. Its usually the angle of the teeth that make the hole thing work and if they wear even just a little then there just hanging up instead of doing there job.
hmmm. Every thing seemed real nice i was supprised that there were no shavings even with the lsd installed.

russiankid
04-27-2008, 09:40 AM
"i just installed a 8 lb flywheel sprung 6 puck and clutch net 3x red pressure plate and a LSD"

Russsiankid if the clutch is set up to tight it makes it hard to go into the gears. as far as slipping I dunno how that might effect it either way.

wp

Ok good to know. I actually have to granny shift into 3rd as well. It used to be worse, but every time I power shift into 3rd, its a very hard shift.

89T
04-27-2008, 09:41 AM

wp
i was hoping it would be a Little friendlier than it is.
at least i am not losing power through the clutch anymore.

MessyHonda
04-28-2008, 08:59 PM
i had the same thing happen to me....it still does it...i have 8 pound flywheel, kevelar disk, red presure plate x2.....rebuilt trans with integra gears and accord 5th gear.....from what the trans guy told me is that the clutch does not disengage fast enough for 3rd gear...i have adjusted my cable to the point where i almost have no play in the cable...its super thigh but it does not grind as bad....i can shift till about 4500 rpm witch it not bad cuz it would grind at about 3000 rpm shifting

i feel your pain brother....it sucks to have the trans grind after spending fucking 1200 bucks on the set up...