PDA

View Full Version : wire problem?

87newb
04-27-2008, 02:56 PM
well, as of this time my car has NO RADIO :( 87 accord dx 4d

ive tried to work 2 radios in it, neither of them work. they wont even power on. i think it may be the wires in the car, or maybe those 2 radios just dont work with honda accords? i couldnt imagine it being that though....okay so, i hook all the wires up correctly, hook in the power, turn my car on, press the radio on button, nothing happens. undo all the wires from the radio. wire in the other radio, radio on, nothing. 2 brand new radios and neither of them work.

think its just faulty or shorted wires in my car?

hope i dont have to rewire, i hate doing it.

Pico
04-27-2008, 02:59 PM
did you check the fuses. and if you have a test light see if there is power

87newb
04-27-2008, 03:03 PM
yeah. my fuses are fine (not blown) what is a test light?

Pico
04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
yeah. my fuses are fine (not blown) what is a test light?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/toolsplus_2000_1350225.jpg
you can get them cheap at any parts store there's a light in the handle that will go on if there is power

87newb
04-27-2008, 03:11 PM
ohh, lmao my brother has one of those. so what should i check with those? the fuses or the wires?

ghettogeddy
04-27-2008, 03:23 PM
the wires
and are you using aftermarket radios and if so are you using the upgrade wire harness or did you cut the stock one

ghettogeddy
04-27-2008, 03:24 PM
do you have aim or any other type of instant messaging programs i can help you out on there

87newb
04-27-2008, 03:38 PM
yeah ive got aim, but im gunna be heading off to work in like 10 mins. yes its aftermarket radio + harness. even if we hook the wires from the radio and hold them to the battery it doesnt turn on. no power:\

ghettogeddy
04-27-2008, 03:40 PM
yeah ive got aim, but im gunna be heading off to work in like 10 mins. yes its aftermarket radio + harness. even if we hook the wires from the radio and hold them to the battery it doesnt turn on. no power:\

did the stock radio work

you may want to check the fuses under the hood as well theres one for the radio in there

87newb
04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
hmm, i didnt know there was one under the hood also. i just checked the fuses for it under the steering wheel. and idk. when i bought the car it had an aftermarket radio in it.

ghettogeddy
04-27-2008, 04:18 PM
ya im not sure witch one it is but just check them all it may neot be listed
also do the same on the inside one to just check all the fuses

blackcougar141
04-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Question....did you hook up the antenna that plugs directly into the radio? I hooked up all the wires directly to my radio and forgot to plug up the antenna , and the damn thing didn't work....so that's why I asked bro...

ghettogeddy
04-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Question....did you hook up the antenna that plugs directly into the radio? I hooked up all the wires directly to my radio and forgot to plug up the antenna , and the damn thing didn't work....so that's why I asked bro...

x2 same thing on the stock radios theres a lil plug thats used for the eq and if the plug is out it wont work lol

AccordB20A
04-27-2008, 09:10 PM
does you car have the stock accord wiring plug?? or is it chopped off

87newb
04-28-2008, 12:50 AM
the black chord with the chrome tip right? if thats what u r talking about yes i have that. my brother was helping me hook it up but he said the cd player would work without it. but then again he only really works on newer cars so idk. ill give it a shot in a couple hours when it gets bright outside and let you guys know what happens. wish me luck:)

87newb
04-29-2008, 01:16 AM
okay so that didnt seem to work. i plugged the antenna line into the antenna hole on the radio, had car on, nothing happened. ill pick up a test light tomorrow and start checking fuses. if not the fuses then i guess its probably the wires in the car:(

ghettogeddy
04-29-2008, 08:04 AM
okay so that didnt seem to work. i plugged the antenna line into the antenna hole on the radio, had car on, nothing happened. ill pick up a test light tomorrow and start checking fuses. if not the fuses then i guess its probably the wires in the car:(

you dot even need the test light for the fuses just start pulling them one by one youl know when its blown
to bad you not like down the street id be able to fix this with out a prob unless it was a internal bad wire lol

Mac
05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
its aftermarket radio + harness. even if we hook the wires from the radio and hold them to the battery it doesnt turn on. no power:\

Some aftermarket radios have a fuse in them. If it's not powering up when hooked to the battery you might want to check if the radio has a fuse and if it is blown.

Mac
05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Sorry

AccordB20A
05-02-2008, 03:23 PM
when you hooked the radio up how did you know what wires what? i would hook a light bulb on to all the wires and see what two have power when the cars on

87newb
05-02-2008, 07:49 PM
when you hooked the radio up how did you know what wires what? i would hook a light bulb on to all the wires and see what two have power when the cars on

wouldnt a test light have the same purpose??

2oodoor
05-03-2008, 02:37 AM
I had the same issue, there is a fuse for radio under the hood AND under the dash, also there are two power wires , one for memory which is hot at all times the other is for power up which is hot with the key on only. I never try to run a unit without the antenna plugged in, it is a guarunteed ground for the board inside.

89T
05-03-2008, 03:09 AM
the fuse under the hood would be labled as "clock".
check you'r self...
yellow=hot all the time
red=switched hot (on and off with the key)
black= ground

87newb
05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
found out what the problem was. the guy that had the car b4 me had re-wired already. and he never removed the black ground wire, but he cut it, and had it attached to something else. he re-ran a blue wire as the ground wire and we didnt see it when we were hooking the radio up. took another look, viola! magic blue wire:D

Dr_Snooz
05-04-2008, 07:36 AM
to bad you not like down the street id be able to fix this with out a prob unless it was a internal bad wire lol

You can help me! I've got a sweet Alpine deck and Polk speakers I need to install on mine to replace the crappy Blaupunkt thing that's there now.

:bow::bow::bow: