PDA

View Full Version : flywheel question.

cowtownexi
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
i am going to be replacing my clutch next week and i was wondering if there are any companies that make a lightweight flywheel for our cars.

if it helps i'm driving an 89 ex-i accord 5 spd.

thanks.

cow.

russiankid
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Clutchnet.com

cowtownexi
04-29-2008, 03:46 PM
stupid question.

how much do the stock flywheels wiegh in our cars?

forrest89sei
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Stock are like 19-22 Lbs

MessyHonda
04-29-2008, 08:31 PM
yeah stock is like 22 pounds....and aftermarket is like 8 pounds...i went with an aftermarket one when i had to do my clutch....i also went with a stage 3 clutch so il never have to do it again.

Demon1024
04-29-2008, 08:35 PM
...i also went with a stage 3 clutch so il never have to do it again.

If you drive like you post i sincerely doubt that!
at least the flywheel....

mykwikcoupe
04-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I dont see how that was a stupid question at all. The weight of the flywheel keeps mass in motion thus torque between shifts. Go with a lightweight itll rev faster acelerate slower and forget smoke shows. Keep the rotational masses stock and the recipricating masses as strong and light as possible. Keep the stock flywheel or an aftermarket heavy steel for duability

forrest89sei
04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
The whole light vs stock flywheel thing is really based upon taste,

If your a city driver going traffic light to traffic light then a Light Flywheel is great since you get moving faster, if your a person that has a long commute like a freeway commute where your staying at 55-70 for Decent amounts of time then your not going to like a lightweight wheel, since you'll have to stay on the gas more.

MessyHonda
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
If you drive like you post i sincerely doubt that!
at least the flywheel....

yeah....my clutch does not slip tho...it says 55% more clamping force...and i do drive very hard....even do 2nd gear burn out....clutch grabs soo good....makes me damn proud

rjudgey
04-30-2008, 09:03 AM
He has obviosuly not seen a clutchnet clutch the disk and plates on these will stand any abuse and last longer than most engines!!! I've had two different clutch kits and a flywheel and the stuff is top i've broken every other type of clutch even a Stage 3 crutch masters after 15k miles which was made so shitty compared to my clutchnet ones.

Don't every doubt clutchnet they are the best for your money full stop just need to look at the rivets holding the disk together and the design of the hib with the springs in proper little pockets not pressed cheap arse bit's of metal that wear out and break off into the plate!!!!

MessyHonda
04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
He has obviosuly not seen a clutchnet clutch the disk and plates on these will stand any abuse and last longer than most engines!!! I've had two different clutch kits and a flywheel and the stuff is top i've broken every other type of clutch even a Stage 3 crutch masters after 15k miles which was made so shitty compared to my clutchnet ones.

Don't every doubt clutchnet they are the best for your money full stop just need to look at the rivets holding the disk together and the design of the hib with the springs in proper little pockets not pressed cheap arse bit's of metal that wear out and break off into the plate!!!!

yum

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/DSCF3120Medium.jpg

Hauntd ca3
04-30-2008, 11:10 PM
i have an exedy racing heavy duty friction plate and ap racing pressure plate
drives like a stocker clutch but can take the big rev dumps

cowtownexi
05-01-2008, 02:18 PM
so i did a little reading around and i've decieded not to go with the lightwight flywheel. i misunderstood what the pros / cons were.

gfrg88
05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
so i did a little reading around and i've decieded not to go with the lightwight flywheel. i misunderstood what the pros / cons were.

dude go for it!! i had a 7lb flywheel in my teggy and i fukin loved it!!! and drove in crappy traffic every single day, and it wasnt bad... except for the clutch

AccordEpicenter
05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
i have an 8lb aasco unit and i like it. It is considerably harder to drive esp launching the car but when i went from the stocker to the aluminum unit, the car did accelerate slightly faster, it had a slight bit more pull. I enjoy it but some people wont appreciate it, esp if you drive in traffic alot

cygnus x-1
05-01-2008, 09:26 PM
You know you can also get the stock flywheel lightened some. It won't be as light as an aluminum one but it will be way cheaper.

C|

MessyHonda
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
yeah i daily drive my car...and even in traffic its easy to drive....i have to rev my car up to like 1.5k before i start letting go of the clutch or it will stall. i would not lighten a stock flywheel because at the machine shop they wanted 150 90 bucks to lighten it, 30 bucks to resurface and 30 bucks to balance it. i got lucky and only paid like 300 bucks shipped for my 8 pound one.