PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

newtuner
04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
ok well my 88 auto lxi has been having some problems... the drivers side axel came out when i was parking (thank god!) lost a whole shitload of fluid.. drained and replaced fluid and inline filter 3 times with honda atf... ever sence then when its cold it shifts like a manual.... i have to drive it and rev it all the way out with the gear selector in 2nd then shift back to drive and if im lucky it will shift into 3rd then 4th... then it shifts fine till it cools down... i guess what im wondering is how bad is it to drive it in just 2nd... it bogs down a little at the start but can go till 60-65 so in the city im runing between 3k and 4k.... 2nd question is now its started knocking at startup maybe like 3 or 4 times and runs rough... could it be the head? how would i find out?... thx

blackcougar141
04-29-2008, 06:43 PM
it kinda sounds like your shift problem is caused with a valve body problem. I'm not 100% sure this is the cause but mine did the eratic shifting like yours both before and after fluid changing and flushes. So, I said screw it and swapped to a 5-speed.:D

Demon1024
04-29-2008, 08:33 PM
The knocking sounds like you reved it all the way a few to many times/ too hard and wrecked your main bearings but i may be wrong
the shift thing sounds like the cable needs ajustment but i don't do auto's so idunno.....

newtuner
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
The knocking sounds like you reved it all the way a few to many times/ too hard and wrecked your main bearings but i may be wrong
the shift thing sounds like the cable needs ajustment but i don't do auto's so idunno.....

yea ive gone to 6500 just to get it to shift... hrmm sux.... been planin on doin a 5speed swap just havent gotten the parts.. looks like im gunna have to rebuild the motor... or jus swap one thats better... thx for all of your help..!

xxxfrankensteinxxx
04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
yea my tranny is auto and acts up a bit i might go man when it goes

Oldblueaccord
04-30-2008, 03:29 PM
I think there is a shift cable that can be adjusted but I dont have an auto.

wp

Dr_Snooz
04-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I'll bet something important in the valve body is broken. Probably a spring or something.