PDA

View Full Version : Jacking up the car

nfs480
04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Previously i've always used ramps to get my car off the ground but recently i've been having some rattling in the suspension so I am going to need to jack the car up to check things out. I looked in the shop manual and it points to the front tow hook as being the jack point, my question is, do I really put all the weight on that hook? It seems to me like putting the weight of the car on that little hook would be rather unstable. I've got jackstands too but i'm just nervous about getting the car off the ground for the first time.

Also, one of the reasons i'm probably nervous is that i'm using an old rusty floor jack that says it was manufactured in May of 1987 on it.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
honestly if your not confident in using the jack make sure you use jackstands or get a different one, um idk about hooks i think the frame horn is better just my opinion

MessyHonda
04-29-2008, 09:38 PM
i use the front tow hook all the time to jack up the front of the car...and then put the jack stands on the jack lift spots....make sure you use your e-brake

A18A
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
same

nfs480
04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok, thanks guys.

Hauntd ca3
04-30-2008, 12:30 AM
i use the front tow hook all the time to jack up the front of the car...and then put the jack stands on the jack lift spots....make sure you use your e-brake

if you have the workshop manual it says the jacking point for the front is thetow hook on the cross member that runs front to back under the motor and the rear is that bulge that sticks out under the spare wheel well.
thats for floor jacks tho.
wouldnt put a scissor jack under the motor

russiankid
04-30-2008, 03:56 AM
I jack my up using the cross member, I place the jack a little further back than the lower transmission mount(damper).

2drSE-i
04-30-2008, 07:09 AM
well i am a dumbass and keep accidentally jacking the car up on the floorpan rather than either of these, so i get to remove my carpet and pound out a bunch of dents.

MessyHonda
04-30-2008, 10:46 PM
if you have the workshop manual it says the jacking point for the front is thetow hook on the cross member that runs front to back under the motor and the rear is that bulge that sticks out under the spare wheel well.
thats for floor jacks tho.
wouldnt put a scissor jack under the motor

i have to use a low profile jack...even tho im droped like 2 inches in the front and smaller tires dont help

Hauntd ca3
04-30-2008, 11:07 PM
i have a couple bits of 4x2 that i drive on to so can get my jack under the car
makes it easier that way