PDA

View Full Version : Wont start..... Sometimes?

Highmileage
04-29-2008, 10:37 PM
OK.. So where to start..

My car is an 86 LXi hatchback...

I would get in my car. Start it drive about a mile to kids daycare. Then would not start. Let is sit for a while and it would start and limp for about three seconds then come to life and drive fine.

When It is cranking and not starting I smell something, not really gas smell but kinda like French toast? :huh: strange I know. :wtf:

First thing I replaced was the fuel pump, then the fuel pressure regulator, The last thing I replaced was the main relay.

Next will probably be the coolant temp sensor... Sound right? If that don't help I will drive it into a wall. LOL

Any input would be great. I don't really want to drive it into a wall.

Thanks
Tory

Oldblueaccord
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
It really sounds like the main relay but if your sure its ok then I would try the other things.

You can jump around it I did I write up in this section about it and its on the net as well.

Your pretty sure you change the coolant temp sensors and not the sensors that for the temp. guage. They are usually right next to each other on the housing.

Dinner.....

wp

bobafett
04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
The sensor for the gauge cluster is the small push on one wire connection. Definitely different than the CLT sensors for the fans and ecu - which are very large and have 2 wire connections. :)

Dr_Snooz
04-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Really does sound like the Main Relay. The fact that you smell something burning makes me think that all is not well with the new one. I'd check under the dash again to see what's what.

Catalyst
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Every know and then my 87 lxi hatch would just not want to start.... until I opened the hood and tapped on the coil. So you may want to check the coil too, could be defective.

But if you smell something burning it could also be the relay.

Demon1024
04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Minus the burning smell i'd say check the air filter. then i'd look at the cat.
Mine did the same thing when my tw (think thats what it's called) sensor went out. the temp sensor your talking bout

Highmileage
05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Wow thanks for all the replies..

I changed the main relay. No help.

I do get spark. (pulled plug wire insert screwdriver had my pop crank it and put screwdriver to ground, has good spark)

I have not changed the coolant temp sensor.... Yet.

I am now going to try the 300 ohm resistor next time it wont start. I will put the resistor in place of the temp sensor. If it starts then I will buy new sensor.

With the smell I at first thought maybe Catalytic converter.

Thanks

Oldblueaccord
05-02-2008, 08:32 AM
it might be a rich condition and your smelling it thru the converter so that would point to the sensors.

wp

Dr_Snooz
05-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Minus the burning smell i'd say check the air filter. then i'd look at the cat.
Mine did the same thing when my tw (think thats what it's called) sensor went out. the temp sensor your talking bout

TW sensor should flash a CEL.

Demon1024
05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
mine never did

2oodoor
05-03-2008, 01:49 AM
mmmmmmm french toast

what are you calling the main relay? just curious you did not have questions about that PITA item. I know what it is but just clarifying the correct location and part.

Dr_Snooz
05-03-2008, 07:01 PM
mine never did

Far out! Mine did. It's the only reason I knew to change it.

Highmileage
05-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Yea! PITA..

lets put it like this...

After I finally got it out. and installed the new one. after about half an hour trying to mount it I lost the bolt... thank god. It was never bolted back up. just hanging there were it will remain....

I agree with the flooding and stinking up the cat. I ordered the sensor and it will be here tomorrow. Then we will see.

Highmileage
05-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Ok. Update

The next time my car wouldn't start I have a 300 ohm resistor. I installed it where the temp sensor plugs in. The main fan came on and I jumped in and it started. Yes, I haul butt down to the auto parts store. They don't have the sensor and order me one. It comes in and I go to install it and its the wrong sensor!!! Take it back and they order me the correct one. It comes in I install it and it runs great for two days. I think I am in good shap... Nope I drive to the grocery store and come back out and it won't start. I try the resistor again and now help. The last time I used the resistor had to have been a coincidence.

OK few details.

When it won't start I will fire up but then acts like it runs out of gas. Then it will just crank over. I have no way of checking fuel pressure do to now Schrader <sp? valve on this old car. But when cranking and not starting It smells like maybe it is getting gas. What's next? O2 sensor? I have changed it twice in the 15 years I have owned it.

Thanks for all the comments.
Tory

GraniteLXI
05-19-2008, 08:33 AM
It really sounds like the main relay, on hot days the old "weave soldering" or whatever in it doesn't make good contact, and in this case the fuel lines are only primed, so the car will run for a second and then stall (mine did this over and over on me a lot last summer!). But it looks like you changed your main relay... I just changed mine yesterday, so now i am just waiting for a hot day to make sure it fixed my issue as well.

2oodoor
05-19-2008, 08:49 AM
O2 sensor should not keep it from cranking though. Try this, practice a minute taking off the intake hose at the thottle body. Now keep the tool you need for that in the car with you and a can of cheap carb cleaner spray. Next time it does it take off the hose and spray a little flammable spray in and see if it trys to crank. That would tell you if it is fuel delivery or not.
You can also just pull off a vacuum hose on the plenum somewhere easy to get to, and spray the flammable in there.
I can't tell if you are getting too much fuel (which would be an ecm engine managment , injector drivers etc. issue) or no fuel which would be fuel pump and related items.
Other than that it needs to be isolated if it could be ignition, which would be ign switch, relays, distributor or coil. (BTW what kind of plugs and gap are you using?)