PDA

View Full Version : coolant problem

BigCook
09-21-2002, 07:45 AM
ok, heres the problem. When I drive my car on the freeway at over 65 mph for a few miles and then come to a stop, it smokes when I start to move again. I don't think I have coolant in my oil. At least none that I can see. The coolant in the radiator looks fine, but if it does smoke a few times I have to top it off. I had a shop do a compression check and the said it was ok. Told me to try a bars leak sealer. it still smokes. Also, sometimes the the car loss power in 2nd gear at about 2000 rpms. I have not driven it on the freeway in a few months, but I can smell coolant when I drive. Is this a head gasket problem or something else. Also how easy is it to change the head gasket, the shop wants $600. The haynes book tells me only how to do a complete disassembly. Pease help.

Mike89Accordcom
09-21-2002, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a headgasket to me. My car did the same thing a few years back. If you want it done right take it to a shop.

ACCORD EX
09-21-2002, 11:50 AM
make sure the valve vover gasket doesn't leak first ! before doing a head job !

MIKE

89NinjaAccordLX
09-21-2002, 03:01 PM
damn all that. I just got over cooling system woes. What you should do is take out that crappy radiator cap. trust me. If your coolant is fine, and it just starts to steam up, and you arn't billowing white smoke out of your exhaust... then I would get a new radiator cap first. Then if that doesn't work get a new radiator, thermostat and all new hoses. That's what I did. I had to go the "new radiator and hoses" route.