PDA

View Full Version : Pulling an engine... any tips?

deevergote
05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, the time has come to replace my oil-burner with a rebuilt A20A.

Now, I've never pulled an engine myself before, and never even assisted with an A20A. I know the basics... I mean, you just unhook everything, unbolt it, and yank it out. However, I figure I'd see if there were any tips that people could give me to make the process easier!

I already have all fluids drained: coolant, trans fluid (manual), oil. I also unhooked most electrical connections.

I haven't unhooked the fuel line or axles.

I have a hoist, load leveller, and an engine stand.

My first question is: where is the best place to hook the chains to the engine? Basic, I know... but it's one of those things that could result in frustration if I don't do it right!

Next: I have to put some parts on the new engine... such as the oil pan and new girdle bolts. It'd be best to get it on the stand to do that. What is the best way to mount the engine on the stand (I know I could probably just look at it and see... but I'm asking all this before I get anything going... I don't want to have to stop in the middle if I don't have to!)

Any advice would be a huge help. I'm not an idiot when it comes to cars, I've just never pulled an engine. It's better to go in prepared than "learn as you go" (which means screw up the first time and learn what not to do... not really an option!)

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-02-2008, 10:40 AM
um i beleive theres place you can bolt it on to let me check my book also trying to get you on aim

deevergote
05-02-2008, 01:26 PM
My aim name is the same as my name here (as well as on any forum I'm a part of!) I'm always away, though. I have way too many people on my IM list!

I just remembered that my friend gave me a Haynes manual when he gave the car back to me (I sold it to him for a year). It's in my CB7... I'll run and take a look at it now.

2oodoor
05-02-2008, 05:35 PM
hey look what a little looky on the how to section turned up
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7316

deevergote
05-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Awesome. Thanks man!

I'm not on here enough to be used to the format... I searched using the ever-helpful (not) search feature, and looked through a few threads on here... Never thought to look there!

89T
05-03-2008, 03:00 AM
i use a chain hoist. Its easier to use when pulling a motor by your self. you can be under the car guiding it as you're lifting it out.
it takes some doing but you can pop out the axles from the trans as you're lifting it out.

'A20A3'
05-03-2008, 04:31 AM
yeah i undid my suspension in the front so i could pop the axles out. used a bolt through a chain to the power steering mounting location on the head, the other, take a bolt out the bellhousing and put it through the chain and back into the bellhousing. worked like a charm. the only bitch is snaking the wiring harness in and out. i fuckin hate wires. yeah man deever hit me up man i can help you out maybe ill come up there and help ya out.:cheers:

A18A
05-03-2008, 04:36 AM
i usually pull it out on a angle and stick it in straight. dunno about you but it just seems easier for me

deevergote
05-03-2008, 05:27 AM
yeah i undid my suspension in the front so i could pop the axles out. used a bolt through a chain to the power steering mounting location on the head, the other, take a bolt out the bellhousing and put it through the chain and back into the bellhousing. worked like a charm. the only bitch is snaking the wiring harness in and out. i fuckin hate wires. yeah man deever hit me up man i can help you out maybe ill come up there and help ya out.:cheers:

Awesome, thanks! I might take you up on that!

I've got a 2.5 ton hoist (picked it up for $50... my GTP looked slammed with that thing in the back!) I grabbed a load leveler from ebay, and a $10 rusted stand from craigslist. I don't have a garage, so I'm hoping to have everything planned out so I can get it all done quickly! I don't want my new engine, which I got from LiTtLe xOx BitT, to sit out in the weather if I can't get it in the car right away! Right now, it's sitting on my front porch, double wrapped in trash bags.

Popping the axles out without removing the passenger side ball joint sounds interesting... I wonder if I can pull that off. That'd be nice! All my ball joints are shot anyway, and the axles may or may not be good (I forget if my friend replaced them...) so it's worth a try.

MessyHonda
05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
we used a cherry picker and a chain...most of the wires and hoses were off already...helps to have room

deevergote
05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, a cherry picker and a chain are sort of given... I've carried my replacement engine around by hand, with a friend... and I really don't think it'd be pleasant to pull it from the bay that way!

I guess my main question would be where to hook the chain to it. The power steering area and the bell housing bolt are the best I've gotten so far. There appears to be some sort of bracket on the engine... I have to check it out again. Doesn't seem to be for anything currently attached...

cygnus x-1
05-05-2008, 05:18 AM
There should be a couple lifting eyes, one next to the cam sprocket on the intake side and one on top of the transmission. Here's a picture of mine:

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Engine-build/EngineTrans.jpg

C|

A18A
05-05-2008, 05:33 AM
that's a nice looking engine^ :)

Dr_Snooz
05-05-2008, 05:54 AM
There should be a couple lifting eyes, one next to the cam sprocket on the intake side and one on top of the transmission. Here's a picture of mine:

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Engine-build/EngineTrans.jpg

C|

x2. Those are definitely the Honda-approved lift-points. And yeah, the manual says to lift the engine out on an angle. Start by lifting it clear of the mounts, set it back down on the mounts, shorten your lift chain on the driver side and lift the engine/tranny clear of the bay on an angle. My only snag was some dumb sensor/switch connected to the P/S high pressure line. I didn't see it and popped the wires out of the connector. I just crimped on new bullet connectors and sealed it all up with some silicone, so no big deal. All in all, it was really easy and smooth. These are definitely good cars for your first engine rebuild. Just take your time and follow the manual religiously.

I'd recommend replacing the motor mounts as long as you have everything out. They aren't that expensive, relative to a new engine, and it's really, really easy to replace them when the engine is out.

Also consider the P/S high-pressure line. I've replaced two in these cars. They are known to start leaking at some point and when they do, they drip P/S fluid (which is flammable) on the exhaust manifold (which can cause an engine fire). If you replace the line while the engine is out, it takes about 15 minutes. If the engine is in, it takes about a half-day and your neighbors will call the cops because of all the swearing, thrown tools, kicked dogs, etc. coming from your place.

I'm not sure if you're swapping in a used Japanese engine, but that's what I did. I spent a lot of time buying just the seals, gaskets, orings, etc. I was certain I needed. It was really time-consuming and I'm not sure I saved any money over buying just a master engine re-seal kit from Napa which has everything including a few things you won't need (like the head gasket).

Oh, and if you are changing out all the oil seals (not a bad idea), old oil seals make really good seal drivers for your new seals. Especially for the rear main seal which is quite large and difficult. Just put the face of the old seal on the face of the new seal and hammer away. It works great.

Good luck!

cygnus x-1
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
that's a nice looking engine^ :)

Thanks. When I did the rebuild I had the block and head cleaned; then painted the block silver. The valve cover and oil pan were painted black. It's SO much nicer working on a clean engine than a nasty oily dirt encrusted mess. This diesel I'm working on now is pretty bad.

C|

BITESIZE
05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
While the engine is out get some degreaser and degrease the hell out of the whole engine bay. It will be nice and clean for a newly clean engine.

Dr_Snooz
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
While the engine is out get some degreaser and degrease the hell out of the whole engine bay. It will be nice and clean for a newly clean engine.

Oh, fine. NOW you tell me!

Pico
05-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Thats what I did and retouched up the areas where the paint was scuffed up

88Accord-DX
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Front & rear lifting points I used. Hopefully you don't have a bowl of spaghetti on the top of you engine like I did have.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/A20A1onlift.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/A20A1backonlift.jpg

'A20A3'
05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
air conditioning massive bracket....power steering bracket.. ...ha :kekeke: