PDA

View Full Version : distributor differences

2oodoor
05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Ok I am surfin the JY and am finding three different distributors. I really like the metal vac advance set up but I notice they do not have a the metal module on the side like the plastic vac advance dizzys have. What is the diff dizz??
Do they have more movement of the vacuum actuator?
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1209736201.jpg

Demon1024
05-02-2008, 09:56 PM
thats the ignitor missing right? that thing looks weird is it on a carb or fi 3g?

forrest89sei
05-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Alot of the Factory Dizzy's had Metal Vacuum Advance, then people broken them off and replaced them with plastic

That looks to be a Hitachi distributor

2oodoor
05-03-2008, 01:31 AM
thats the ignitor missing right? that thing looks weird is it on a carb or fi 3g?

Nothing is 'missing' it just does not use one, I saw one then another and another. But yes the shiny thing is not present on that one.
Forrest what do you mean they broke them off, come on man.
I dont expect the populus of FI instant tuners to even get this thread. There have been distributor discussions, not in a while, directed toward modifying advance curve and I am wondering if anybody knows if these have a sportier one than the later "plastic vac can shiny box on the side" models..

2ndGenGuy
05-03-2008, 02:06 AM
There are two distributors. The TEC and the Hitachi. Been like that since the 1geez. Don't know why there are two, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which ones are on which cars as far as I can tell. I also believe there may be a difference for automatic and manual, but I'm not sure why. More advance when in "D" or something when you're not moving to make up for the load.

forrest89sei
05-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Maybe it was cost cutting?

I've never seen any EFI Dizzy's with the metal Vac Advance, But I've seen alot Carb metal vac advance ones in the JY

Here is a TEC Carb Dizzy with the metal vac advance:
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/40000225/Images/28/2-29-08%20feb%20(105).JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DISTRIBUTOR-HONDA-ACCORD-86-87-88-89-TEC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 QQcategoryZ33690QQihZ005QQitemZ150238046817QQrdZ1Q QsspagenameZWD1V#ebayphotohosting

DBMaster
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
What difference does it make what the advance canister material is? The diaphragms will wear out long before the plastic housing, anyway. But, as they have already said you have a carb engine distributor there, not FI.

2oodoor
05-03-2008, 03:16 PM
no kidding :huh:
DBmaster So you are saying you can't run this one on FI cars? What are you saying anyway?
hrmmm the connections have the same wires. The metal cans vs plastic probably is debatable as to what is best. The metal cans would probaby corrode with moisture inside eventually, but they look like they have more travel, hell they just look better to me. :)
Thanks Forrest now I know what it is, TEC, I have read and wondered wth was being refered to, now I know.
I like the metal ones because they would seem to be more adaptable to an adjustable unit from Crane or Aftermarket made for Chevys. A little heat sink on the acuator arm and a tack weld , viola !!
Anybody know of other differences?
OK, so you know what I am thinking, I have a D16A1 dizzy from a 1st gen Integra to install on my B20A, yes I am the fool putting together a Weber powerered B20A, and chunking the FI intake in the trash, dam that thing is ugly.. LMAO .... anyway the teggy dizzy seems to have the same internals as A20A1 dizzy, just the housing is different. I am counting on making a hybrid of it in case the teggy dizzy is fried, I can still make it work.

Dr_Snooz
05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
yes I am the fool putting together a Weber powerered B20A, and chunking the FI intake in the trash

Good God man, are you mad?! Why in the name of all that is holy would you choose a Carb over FI???

:wtf:

2ndGenGuy
05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Good God man, are you mad?! Why in the name of all that is holy would you choose a Carb over FI???

Why in gods name would you want to mess with all those sensors and untunable, non obd compliant computers?

2oodoor
05-04-2008, 02:36 AM

blessed be the dammed:devil:
well my cars are aleady carbed cars, I would have to do more to get it running as it is. I am not anti-FI by no means, I just like this car being carbed an I am pretty satisfied with the other Weber powered A20. And I am into old school, keeping it alive, and just being delightfully different.:wave:

Dr_Snooz
05-04-2008, 07:28 AM
And I am into old school, keeping it alive, and just being delightfully different.:wave:

I dig it. I guess everyone on here, myself included, is being delightfully different by sinking all kinds of time, money and love into cars that are essentially worthless.

Rock on! :rockon:

POS carb
02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
The Hitachi has the ignitor system mounted internally and the TEC has it external. I've ran both on my LX with no mods

VTEC_Inside
02-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Anyone know whats specifically different between the auto and manual distributors?

2oodoor
10-20-2010, 04:33 PM
I wonder If the oem B20A distributor parts would work inside a A20A3 or what of it could be used ...
I know the cam angle sensor is separate so it doenst have that, anyhew I have that low mileage dizzy from that motor I didnt use.