PDA

View Full Version : Paint and bodywork

codyJDM
05-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Is hard!

Currently in the process of resurrecting my bumper from the cheese grater scrapes I put in it from wrecking my hatch this week. Ive got it sanded down/bondo'd/primed and its a pain in the ass. Its tough being a perfectionist. Any tips? I keep getting fuzzy looking bits all on the black trim part from sanding it initially, light grit sandpaper between primer coats seems to help though.

Any input is appreciated. :thumbup:

p.s. filling in license plate holes ftmfw!

Hazwan
05-02-2008, 11:21 PM
What grit did you use? I never used cheese grater or whatever it is called but i guess its slightly rougher than 80 grit.

I'll start with 180,240,320 and then primer. Block the primer with 600 and it should be ready for paint.

codyJDM
05-03-2008, 06:56 AM
I had to use 80 grit to get the deep scratches filed down(I called the scratches cheese grater-esque haha, they were bad) and then I bondo'd them in and sanded them down with 80 grit then primed and then smoothed down with 220. I think Im just gonna keep working my way higher with grits between coats, Im pretty sure thats the proper way lol.

Hazwan
05-03-2008, 07:14 AM
LOL I've heard people using cheese grater to shape body filler.

Anyway, I never used 220 but I guess that would be sufficent to get rid most of the 80 marks. Depending on your primer it might be able to fill most of the scratches and you could proceed with higher grit (280 and upwards).

These are the method that I always used with body filler and they worked great for me. It might be different with you though.

codyJDM
05-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I just laid down the last coat of primer. Im gonna smooth it out with 400 and then start painting the trim with krylon ultra flat black. Works very well with plastic and is the perfect color for trim IMO.

Any suggestions on getting my paint matched? Im really nervous about it, Id want to shoot myself if my bumper was a different white than my car </3

codyJDM
05-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, here's how far I've come..

http://i27.tinypic.com/2q0r0qa.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/bh0n0w.jpg

I still need to work out a few minor kinks, but I think I got the hang of it. There used to be giant gashes across that entire side.

codyJDM
05-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh yeah and no license plate holes ftw! :D

BITESIZE
05-03-2008, 12:14 PM
bondo does not work on bumpers....Sorry, start over right now. Go buy some bumper repair stuff. It will crack and look like shit quickly.

Hazwan
05-03-2008, 05:07 PM
bondo does not work on bumpers....Sorry, start over right now. Go buy some bumper repair stuff. It will crack and look like shit quickly.

eeek! I totally forgot about that since I never repair bumper and stuffs :gun:

It might hold up fine if they are used thinly. The previous owner of my dad's car fixed the bumper with filler and I didn't notice that until my mom scrapped a wall (lol women drivers) taking a chunk of filler off.

Any before pics of the damaged bumper?

codyJDM
05-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Ill post pics later, at work right now. You really think it will fuck up? It seems to be alright now, I didnt have to use much anyway. Its only in some minor scratches that were too deep to sand out. Plus I have 2 coats of primer on there as well. I guess we'll see.

frostbyte
07-02-2008, 06:54 PM
that bonda os so gonna fall out...
and the fuzzy stuff mentioned earlier is the plastick never ever use 80 on a bumper big no no... id sugest not painting it and start over trust me it seems stupid but wait til u walk out to show off ur good work and its all cracked out from the heat and flex... youll kick it and say us a hole y did you let me use bondo...

gp02a0083
07-02-2008, 07:26 PM
the fuzzy stuff is most likely the primer not reacting with the plastic very well, you want to looks for primer that can "flex" all tho our pumpers are pretty ridged compared to other cars. as long as your prep work is good the bondo will sick, however if enough force is applied it will flake off. There are various other types of filler formulated for bumpers that will flex with it, they are a bit more expensive but they pay in the long run. AS with anything with bodywork or paint work , the better your prep work is and the more time you spend on it , the better your results will be

codyJDM
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I spent forever on prep. It still looks great, nothing cracked or flaked and someone even tapped that side of my bumper(scraping their paint on mine) and nothing happened. I'd say I did a good job ;) Oh and Texas weather isn't very forgiving either, so another plus for my work lol.

gp02a0083
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM
front bumper looks like its coming out well, what kinda primer did you use rattle can or spray gun

codyJDM
07-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Rattle can, meticulously and in plentiful amounts lol. I used so many coats/cans/time. Once I get good pictures of the car now you can see it in its final form. The front and back bumpers are black now.

bhad133
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I used duplicolor clear primer and duplicolor special bumper paint (rattle can) after preping my bumper right and it came out beautiful. Its only been a week so i can't say how well it will hold up.

knarg
07-07-2008, 04:47 PM
mine are doing fine after more than a year with the krylon fusion

jpetrovic
07-07-2008, 06:11 PM
my buddy had a SUV, He put bondo on his bumper to cover up the oem fogs he took out it looked fine... but as time when by it cracked with normal driveing ect... and now it looks like shit.

ghettogeddy
07-07-2008, 06:14 PM
just buy a ebay bumper there super cheap