PDA

View Full Version : Brakes rub

turabaka
05-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Alright I've got a little problem that hopefully you guys can help me fix. I noticed the other day that my front right brake rubs a bit. It's kinda of a pulsating rub, so I figured that it's either old pads or a warped rotor. I went out, and bought a new rotor, and pads for the front. Now after I installed them, both of my front brakes rub. Any ideas on what's going on? Normal for them to rub at first, or is there something I should do about it?

russiankid
05-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Did you clean and grease the caliper pins? I am pretty sure they will rub slightly, as long as they do not drag.

turabaka
05-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I did not. I guess I can go and try that, and see if it fixes anything.

russiankid
05-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I did not. I guess I can go and try that, and see if it fixes anything.

Make sure to clean out the inside of the caliper bracket and put some grease in there as well as grease the pins themselves.

BITESIZE
05-04-2008, 03:35 PM
They did that when they were on my car.

turabaka
05-04-2008, 03:47 PM
^^ hmm... I'd figured that it was probably a warped rotor, since the one that was rubbing had some pretty deep scores in it. I'll go out, and tear it apart again, and regrease everything.

BITESIZE
05-04-2008, 03:48 PM
It's most likely the calipers. Were the old brake pads evenly worn on both for each side? I had those front brakes done at les schwab about 3 years ago. Maybe had about 5,000 on them.

turabaka
05-04-2008, 07:27 PM
naw. I figured out what it was. The dust shield on the right side had a small cut in it, and was bent out. So that was rubbing against the rotor causing the noise. I just hammered it back in and put it all back together. I still put new grease on the caliper pins, and cleaned everything off as well though. They sound much better now.

MessyHonda
05-04-2008, 10:48 PM
i need to get my legend front end swap...cuz i can hear my pads rubbing on my slotted rotors

Hauntd ca3
05-06-2008, 12:01 AM
love the sound drilled/slotted rotors make
nice whizzy sound

Oldblueaccord
05-06-2008, 09:15 AM
naw. I figured out what it was. The dust shield on the right side had a small cut in it, and was bent out. So that was rubbing against the rotor causing the noise. I just hammered it back in and put it all back together. I still put new grease on the caliper pins, and cleaned everything off as well though. They sound much better now.

Yeah the pins are that source of the rattling sound over small bumps at slow speeds.

wp