PDA

View Full Version : 89 LX SPECIFICS on removing power window motor...

offthahook
05-04-2008, 04:48 PM
My neighbor has the 89 LX and his driver front power window motor quit working. He's mechanical enough to get the job done, but had some questions for me. I got the Helm's book out and still had some questions. I did, indeed, read the FAQ...

Can the power window motor come out without removing the glass and regulator? I was thinking no and he said he couldn't access the screws for the motor by itself. Keep in mind, he has NO power to the motor.

The glass is held on at the bottom by 2 bolts, right? You (somehow) roll the window down partway and there are access holes to remove the glass mount bolts as I recall. Then, you pull the glass from the inside of the door up and out. Run channels can stay on as I remember.

After that is all done, the regulator has a few bolts that you loosen on the door frame itself and it slides out the big hole (you unplug its power window harness obviously). Then, you pull the motor out with the regulator.

He had the door panel off and I know it sounds simple enough to do in the FAQ, but I didn't want to lead him the wrong way. I think his biggest issue is that he's got no way to move the glass right now. He was thinking there was a proprietary Honda tool for the job, but I told him negative on that. Anyway, if anyone has specific pictures or advice other than "read the FAQ; it ain't hard", let me know. Any tricks to do the job without breaking the glass or breaking something... Thanks and yes I should know how to do this, but I know you guys have done this more recently than I.

nfs480
05-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I can't answer your question unfortunately, but wanted to ask how certain he is that it's the motor, when my driver side window quit working it turned out to be the regulator that was the problem.

offthahook
05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
He's not certain, but said the motor was intermittently working. I guess he just waited too long and now the motor doesn't work at all. I don't know if it makes noise or not. It could possible be a regulator, but I thought regulators rarely went bad.

nfs480
05-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Well, that's exactly what mine did, it works occasionally and then one day it didn't work at all. I think it'd be a good idea if you went through the shop manual (from the sticky in this forum) and try to diagnose which piece is the problem, because they're both expensive and if you're going to replace one it'd might as well be the right one.

Dr_Snooz
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
A good whack on the motor housing with a wrench or something should get it working long enough to get it down. (Don't think that the problem is solved though. It's not. The motor will stop working again before long.) Failing that, there should be an access hole near the motor to fit a hex key through and lower it manually.

Oldblueaccord
05-06-2008, 09:11 AM
I know on like ford trucks we just cut and access hole to slide the motor out. It don't hurt the door any and the hole gets covered by the panel. If you do watch what you cut!

wp