PDA

View Full Version : stiff springs with minimal lowering

newaccorddriver
05-06-2008, 12:44 AM
is there any company that offers incredibly stiff springs or atleast stiffer then stock for our cars? i dont mind the lowered look, but since this is a daily driver when i get it running, id like to feel like i can go anywhere in it so im not looking to lower it that much. the springs on the car currently lower it about 2.5", and thats a bit too much for my liking since it cant really go anywhere

Cheeseburger
05-06-2008, 01:29 AM
why do you want really stiff sprigs for a daily? its just going to give u a shitty ride and un-enjoyable ride. just my 2 cents

MessyHonda
05-06-2008, 08:09 AM
i love my neuspeed springs....they are the same thing as h&rs...and they ride good with tokicos...just imagine with like konis

newaccorddriver
05-06-2008, 09:24 AM
why do you want really stiff sprigs for a daily? its just going to give u a shitty ride and un-enjoyable ride. just my 2 cents

i dont mind the feeling a few of the bumps on the road. my skyline and 325xi suspension were both pretty stiff from the factory, and it wasnt uncomfortable at all. i guess i just like cornering fast with minimal body roll

newaccorddriver
05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
i love my neuspeed springs....they are the same thing as h&rs...and they ride good with tokicos...just imagine with like konis

couldnt seem to find a set of neuspeed springs, although i found a set of H&R springs on ebay for a relatively good price. is 1.5" drop still good in terms of not scraping the pavement?

bank2me
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Where you interested in coilovers maybe?

newaccorddriver
05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Where you interested in coilovers maybe?

only if it were something like ground controls. they had them on here a while back but somebody got them before i did.

bank2me
05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh ok yea andysautosport has the Ground controls but the are EXPENSIVE:gun:

markmdz89hatch
05-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh ok yea andysautosport has the Ground controls but the are EXPENSIVE:gun:

not making judgements, but he did say he had a skyline and a 325xi, so I'm guessing spending the money for some good quality parts is not a huge issue. but yeah, bank's right, they are expensive in comparrison to all other spring or c/o options.

First, I have to ask what you have on there now if you already have a 2.5" drop? What dampers (struts) are you running right now? That'll help w/ the reccomendation of what to do next.

newaccorddriver
05-06-2008, 10:28 AM
not making judgements, but he did say he had a skyline and a 325xi, so I'm guessing spending the money for some good quality parts is not a huge issue. but yeah, bank's right, they are expensive in comparrison to all other spring or c/o options.

First, I have to ask what you have on there now if you already have a 2.5" drop? What dampers (struts) are you running right now? That'll help w/ the reccomendation of what to do next.

right now i think the car has a 2.25-2.5" drop considering how low it was sitting when it was on its wheels. i think elijah said they were spring springs, but i am unsure and havent talked to him in a while. as far as the shocks goes, they were basically OEM replacements.

i dont mind spending money on ground controls since they are a good brand to work with, but im almost leaning towards H&R or neuspeed ones, or even eibachs. nothing against ground control, but i dont have the koni shocks to go with them.

markmdz89hatch
05-06-2008, 10:37 AM
if it were'nt for the fact that you're not happy with the ride height, I would suggest just investing on some Koni's and keep the existing springs in. If they're sprint springs, the H&R's are not too much different regarding stiffness, just height. I know that Hashman has koni's up for sale right now. That being said, I'm putting my money on the fact that you'll be VERY happy with the quality of the ride just by installing the Konis.

The floaty feeling, or chassis roll that you're experiencing right now, is not as much due to spring compression from loading a corner under hard turning, but more-so spring rebound from unloading a corner, and the fact that the strut cannot control the rebound of the spring at all.

newaccorddriver
05-06-2008, 10:54 AM
if it were'nt for the fact that you're not happy with the ride height, I would suggest just investing on some Koni's and keep the existing springs in. If they're sprint springs, the H&R's are not too much different regarding stiffness, just height. I know that Hashman has koni's up for sale right now. That being said, I'm putting my money on the fact that you'll be VERY happy with the quality of the ride just by installing the Konis.

The floaty feeling, or chassis roll that you're experiencing right now, is not as much due to spring compression from loading a corner under hard turning, but more-so spring rebound from unloading a corner, and the fact that the strut cannot control the rebound of the spring at all.

i havent actually driven my car in over 2 years since im building it up.

it not how my car will eventually handle, but its the ride height. i cant stick a standard jack under my car without driving on a piece of wood first. its harder for me to get into a lower car. the environment that i drive in on a daily basis is pretty bad, so more ground clearance is actually better. edmonton is such a bad place to drive a lowered car because the city refuses to fix potholes which are 6" deep until they are at that part of the city. all this is why im not favoring the 2.25" drop, and chances are it will be harder for me to get in and out of my driveway because of the slight tilt.

MessyHonda
05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
couldnt seem to find a set of neuspeed springs, although i found a set of H&R springs on ebay for a relatively good price. is 1.5" drop still good in terms of not scraping the pavement?

well i have 205 50 15 tires so they are smaller...shaved front forkes and i have a teg lip and i only scrape when im going too fast or its a very steep driveway....other than that im good.

i think im lowered like 1.75 in the front and 1.5 in the back

newaccorddriver
05-07-2008, 01:18 AM
well i have 205 50 15 tires so they are smaller...shaved front forkes and i have a teg lip and i only scrape when im going too fast or its a very steep driveway....other than that im good.

i think im lowered like 1.75 in the front and 1.5 in the back

what are shaved front forks?

i plan on running an integra lip eventually since i already have it, and that is the exact same size of tire i plan on running, so i guess i should be fine for the most part. thanks for the input

newaccorddriver
05-07-2008, 01:40 AM
anyone here tried out dropzone adjustable coilovers before or have any feedback on them?

markmdz89hatch
05-08-2008, 05:04 AM
anyone here tried out dropzone adjustable coilovers before or have any feedback on them?

Although I haven't tried them, I do know that they are among the stiffest springs or c/o's you can get for the 3G. They are really inexpensive compared to other options, which initially makes them very appealing. I did speak with DropZone a few years back and drilled the guy on the quality of their kit, and based on his responses, I would be comfortable putting them on my car, but by no means am I endorsing them being that I have not had the chance to try them out, or even have a set to verify quality. I know I've wanted to try them out, but I won't do it until I get my Koni's revalved to handle the dz's spring rate. That being said, if you want to give them a shot, I would suggest the same with regard to the damper (strut) revalving.

Check out the two links below for spring rates of available springs & c/o's, and available dampers along with their factory valving, and revalving options.

Springs: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48185
Dampers: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48187