PDA

View Full Version : Which Clutch?

M3Galaxie
05-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I parked my car for the weekend and went out of town, came home and the clutch was acting a little funny, when I moved my car. Took it out for a little drive later and it slips pretty easily in second gear and shutters alot when partially engaged. So I was looking for at some new clutch kits. Hoping I can do the work myself, but I was wondering if anyone has used a Gripforce clutch they're selling on ebay for $82 shipped. Or an Exedy or Sachs for $105 shipped. My car's stock and will most likely stay that way so I don't need any high performance stuff. I've never change a clutch, but I'm fairly mechanically inclined, read through the How to thread and it seems fairly easy to do on these cars.

nswst8
05-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Just go with the grip force set up I believe they list one on ebay $60 + shipping.

then EXEDY would be my next choice to LUK

russiankid
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I am using an Exedy clutch. Works great for stock application.

M3Galaxie
05-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I decided to go with an Exedy clutch. Should be here...? who knows. I get tired of ordering then waiting for parts all the time.

MessyHonda
05-06-2008, 11:59 PM
you should of just adjusted your clutch cable....i did that and it lasted me another 6k miles....now i just got a stage 3 clutch.....and it wont slip at all...even if it dump it at like 4k....

Hauntd ca3
05-07-2008, 12:03 AM
i have an exedy/ap racing combo and it takes some serious abuse

M3Galaxie
05-07-2008, 06:41 AM
you should of just adjusted your clutch cable....i did that and it lasted me another 6k miles....now i just got a stage 3 clutch.....and it wont slip at all...even if it dump it at like 4k....

Adjusting a clutch cable will help a worn down clutch? It slipped a few times, I took it out anyways and had couldn't go over 35mph trying to get back home and eventually left me at the bottom of the hill to my subdivision which I tried to get up twice. I had a buddy with a old f150 that pushed his clutch as long as it would go, and when we took it apart one of the clutch disc springs was broken and made a mess of the flywheel.

bank2me
05-07-2008, 07:23 AM
How much tighter do the Gripforce and Exedy clutches feel compared to stock? Are they just like a stock replacement or do they have more holding power? I've adjusted my clutch and it feels a little tighter but it isn't the tightest. BTW do these kits come with a throwout bearing (release) and alignment tool? And M3galaxie I would get the flywheel resurfaced whie you are doing the clutch.

forrest89sei
05-07-2008, 07:49 AM
How much tighter do the Gripforce and Exedy clutches feel compared to stock? Are they just like a stock replacement or do they have more holding power? I've adjusted my clutch and it feels a little tighter but it isn't the tightest. BTW do these kits come with a throwout bearing (release) and alignment tool? And M3galaxie I would get the flywheel resurfaced whie you are doing the clutch.

The Exedy and Gripforce are Stock Replacement Clutches, Pretty Much Anything is unless you get a Stage 1 and up.

And Any Clutch Kit Includes the Alignment Tool, Throw Out Bearing You Have To Buy Elsewhere

bank2me
05-07-2008, 07:52 AM
From what I understand all you need to replace a clutch in our cars:
1. Alignment tool
2. Throwout bearing
3. Clutch Disc
4. Pressure plate

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

forrest89sei
05-07-2008, 08:03 AM
From what I understand all you need to replace a clutch in our cars:
1. Alignment tool
2. Throwout bearing
3. Clutch Disc
4. Pressure plate

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your Correct, the Clutch Kit's Include

1. Alignment tool
3. Clutch Disc
4. Pressure plate

labeledsk8r
05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
i have the exeddy clutch in my car and its not bad. i dont know how your car is on leaks but i would put a new rear main seal in while you have the clutch out

M3Galaxie
05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
^Alright thanks, I'll take a look at it and see. My car only has 97,xxx miles on it and no leaks although it burns a little oil.

Bank2, I'm going to take a look at the flywheel and see how smooth it is.

I'll probably start the tear down tomorrow...looks like rain. So, I won't be out riding my bike around. I'm also going to go ahead and check/adjust the valve lashes while the car sitting. But it runs really nice and I got 37 mpg between STL and Springfield Missouri 70-75mph. So, I don't know if the valves need it.

BITESIZE
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
You want to resurface your flywheel too. If your clutch is slipping, chances are your flywheel will be bad.

russiankid
05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Definitely change the rear main seal on the crankshaft. Mine didn't leak when I did my clutch, so I left it be. About a year later the son of a bitch started to leak, which means I had to pull everything back off to change it.

MessyHonda
05-07-2008, 09:51 PM
yeah rear main seal is a must...i changed mine...also torque all the bolts down in a x patern...i also replaced my axles because one of my boots were leaking

M3Galaxie
05-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Alright guys, Thanks for the tips I'm gonna start take down in about 30 minutes.