PDA

View Full Version : Front ball joint

79cord
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
GRRRR
Still not having any luck sourcing a new right front ball-joint for the Accord, normally sold assembled into its lower control arm.

Gave up on the local aftermarket parts suppliers after they got me the part for an '82-3 model, then something else entirely for god knows what. & discovered they only had one part number listed for both sides. The Honda parts are handed......unlike certain Civic & Prelude.

Finally got up the courage to call up the Honda dealer to enquire & Honda Australia don't bother to supply parts for them any more (& have never even bothered to provide computerized parts books - so the dealers still have microfiche!), & even if they did their last listed price was aust$475 !!!!!

Back to the aftermarket suppliers in dispair who after much scratching of heads over their suppliers part-listings & ringing them up, finally provided the name/number of a local workshop who 'might' be able to press a new joint into a provided lower control arm.

But given that the car is in daily use that means a trip to the wreakers for another old arm....(the local has two '77 models at the moment)..
So I guess if that one is 'OK' it might wind up staying on the car for a while...

Though I did order a new g/box/driveshaft oil seal from the dealer for $23.

Lil Mike
05-06-2008, 07:21 PM
hmm ill take a look at my work for the LCA's i know on my car i had to get new ones and it cost me around 40 bucks a side, not bad at all.

79cord
05-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Well Accord now has a better second-hand frt ball-joint/lower control arm from the wreckers for the moment. & leaking driveshaft/gearbox oil seal replaced (thank goodness both on the same side).
Looking at the old LCA the aftermarket suppliers probably could comonize the part to be used on both sides with additional holes for the different trailing arm mountings of each side. Making me wonder if I should have got the shop to order some more in just-in-case that was what the company had done.. Though the last parts they supplied were completely wrong.

While at the wreckers I also picked up another 3 Accord Wheel trim-rings, so I have a set. Looks like the early 2nd gen rings were the same inspite of the 5" of wheel width they gained over the 4.5" of Australian delivered 1st gen Accord.

Also managed to get Grandmothers dining table on to the Accords roof-rack. How on earth do people manage to get anything onto those of silly 4x4 & "S"UV ?

& the Accord decided to remember its old trick of un-screwing the tip of its sparkplug & throwing its lead so it runs horribly on 3. (Once threw 2 when I was taking some friends somewhere).

Ichiban
05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.altrom.com/cdn/partscatalog/partDetail.aspx?partNum=1012901

It's a Canadian company, but they still show a listing for your LCA's. Far as I know, my 2g ball joints are actually welded in, I assume the 1g ones are as well. Would you like me to see if I can order a pair and have them shipped?

79cord
05-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the offer, might yet need to do that...
But will see how the just fitted one goes for the moment & take it for wheel balance/ alignment soon. & as mentioned confirm local suppliers lists are correct (they have listing... just 'common' & probably incorrect).

Ball-joints do look welded in also but maybe there are firms that can do that?

2ndGenGuy
05-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm pretty sure if you're going to replace the ball joints, the whole lower control arm has to go with it. I don't know if there's any way to buy just the ball joint itself. But I suppose there could be a shop that can do it. Control arms are around $80 each and the local parts stores around here. I wonder how the quality is compared to OE.