PDA

View Full Version : Idles low and dies. :(

86AccordLXSdn
05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
It is a sad day.

The 86 does not idle right once warmed up.

I don't know why this is happening. I don't think its a vacuum issue because the issue is only once the car has reached normal operating temperature. RussianKid tested the vac pressure a few weeks ago and I believe it was normal. I can drive it like I stole it but once I take it out of gear the idle just sinks straight to 200-250RPM's and usually stalls out. Upon looking at the engine, you can almost see the words on the drive belts as they go by, they move that slow. No warning lights on the dash, so I do not think it is alternator/battery related (both are fairly new).

I looked for loose connections but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Russain suggested that the spring on the idle screw might not be putting out enough pressure on the screw and that it may need to be pulled out and stretched. :dunno:

When the car is cold/has not be started for a few hours (time to cool off), it fires up and holds a steady 2kRPM until I bump the accelerator to get it to go down, and even then it drives normally. The issue is only when hot.

I thought maybe the t-stat but the needle is showing what seems to be normal temps.

281k and this is the gift in return!

FYI - When it does die, it fires right back up with no issue, but idles low or/and stalls again.

86AccordLXSdn
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Update.

If I re-start it with my foot on the gas, which results in it revving higher upon re-startup, then it idles perfectly normal.

After doing this, I turned the car off and restarted it about 10 times without giving it any gas and it ran fine.

What gives!?

russiankid
05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Seems strange. I cleaned all of the linkages when you were over so I doubt any of them are stuck.

BITESIZE
05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Maybe the fuel filter(s)?

86AccordLXSdn
05-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Maybe the fuel filter(s)?

They're new. Even the one in the tank.

BITESIZE
05-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Try some seafoam.

greentee76
05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Check the solenoid on the back of the carb(primary slow mixture cutoff solenoid valve)
Procedures for checking it are on page # 11-39 of the online manual.
My understanding is that this solenoid is vital to the idle circuit.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-07-2008, 03:58 PM
hmmm just a thought on mine it did this and still sometimes does, but check the carb butterfly, on mine the spring was off not closing the butterfly valve i put it back on andnot it runs a hell of a lot better