PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Adjustment

russiankid
05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
When I shift into reverse, it grinds. If I push really hard on the pedal, it doesn't grind at all. My question is, how much freeplay should there be in the release lever on the bell housing? The shop manual says 2.5mm-4mm, but that is kind of hard to measure out.

russiankid
05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Alright I got the arm set at 2.5mm-3mm, but it still grinds:wtf:

greentee76
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Mine grinds going into reverse as well. I don't think it has anything to do with clutch adjustment. It is due to the reverse gear being straight cut gear. I always put it into first before I shift into reverse as this seems to align things and then it does not grind.

russiankid
05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Mine grinds going into reverse as well. I don't think it has anything to do with clutch adjustment. It is due to the reverse gear being straight cut gear. I always put it into first before I shift into reverse as this seems to align things and then it does not grind.

I do the same, but it still has like a little "clunk" sound. I'll update tomorrow after I drive to school.

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2008, 05:15 PM
shift to 2nd then reverse

russiankid
05-07-2008, 05:16 PM
shift to 2nd then reverse

I tried that as well, seems better. I have the clutch set at 2.5mm-3mm, so we'll see how it does tomorrow.

88Accord-DX
05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Generally with most manual transmissions, especially older ones out of adjustment. The freewheeling of the gears is what your hearing with that when your shifting into reverse.

russiankid
05-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Generally with most manual transmissions, especially older ones out of adjustment. The freewheeling of the gears is what your hearing with that when your shifting into reverse.

Never knew that. Thanks!

MessyHonda
05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
my old trans would grind....now mine doesnt ...but it has been rebuilt.

AccordEpicenter
05-08-2008, 08:06 PM
reverse is non syncronized, first is semi syncronized, and the rest of the gears are fully syncronized. Shifting in any forward gear before going into reverse should help or eliminate the problem

russiankid
05-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Update, it stopped doing it as bad after the clutch adjustment. Sticking it into 2nd then into reverse seems to work well. Thanks for all of the input.

Oldblueaccord
05-08-2008, 09:22 PM
If your alwayas using reverse to leave then start up in that gear as well it will save you the time.

Make sure your clutch cable is firmly in all its mounting brackets. I saw it flex in you vid the other day when you stepped put of your car.

wp

russiankid
05-09-2008, 06:54 AM
If your alwayas using reverse to leave then start up in that gear as well it will save you the time.

Make sure your clutch cable is firmly in all its mounting brackets. I saw it flex in you vid the other day when you stepped put of your car.

wp

That was my throttle cable. I still need to get that clip that mount that the cables clip onto, it sits on the cruise control.

Oldblueaccord
05-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Nope it was clutch the one that goes around the valve cover. It will creep some but I think keeping it pinned down helps with the funky feeling,spotty take up, of the clutch. Its easy to forget it when you pull the valve cover.

wp