PDA

View Full Version : hose blew need help

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-07-2008, 04:08 PM
ok well i just flushed my trans and got my car running, so today i was just crusing and all of a sudden smoke was coming out of the hood and i was like oh shit cause i still havent bought a fire exstinger for it. I pulled over and it was spraying antifreze out of the back of the engine under the carb, now im guessing this is a heater hose or manifold hose? is there only one it could be or is there more then one hose because i couldn't locate the one it was because of the smoke and its pretty low on antifreze sorry if that was ranty or confusing im just trying to get it ruunning because its my only car thanks

greentee76
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I would guess it would be the hose that runs coolant under the carb. It is a single hose probably 3/8-1/2" in diameter.

Dr_Snooz
05-07-2008, 07:25 PM
There are at least 35,000 little formed rubber coolant bypass hoses in and around the car. If one has gone, the others will follow before long. You definitely want to replace them all and soon. A broken hose will leave you stranded and may wreck the engine too. Some of them are real buggers to get at. I had to take off my throttle body to get to the last one. The Honda manual has a great diagram of them all, and it's well worth studying.

Incidentally, all together the hoses ran somewhere around $200 for mine. Carb will probably be a lot cheaper though.

russiankid
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Since you are carb'ed, there are two hoses that are just a complete pain the damn ass to change. One of then has a valve sitting on it, which is probably your problem. I've heard numerous accounts of those valves breaking at the inlet. Get under the car and look above the oil filter, the valve is mounted to the manifold. It is actually fairly easy to change(once everything is out of the way), there is another hose that connects to the water pipe next to the water pump (which could also be the problem), is probably bitchiest of them all.

88Accord-DX
05-07-2008, 07:49 PM
That hose that is under the intake manifold will be a pain in the ass to get to. I have a pic of it. It's some kind of thermo valve. It opens up after a certain temperature. This pics will clue you into what your looking at.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/A20A1intakebottom.jpg

If you follow the hose, it's on the lower left of this pic.

EDIT----------
HOES are easy to follow, hoses on this car are more trouble to get to. :lol:

2drSE-i
05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Follow the hose! All seriousness aside, (:kekeke:) just replace all your hoses while your at it.

MessyHonda
05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
i hate hoses

russiankid
05-08-2008, 03:50 AM
Follow the hose! All seriousness aside, (:kekeke:) just replace all your hoses while your at it.

That is what I did. Once I got under there and access to all hoses, I ripped all the old ones out. Now I have new hoses and nothing to worry about. :)

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-09-2008, 08:52 PM
thanks guys im gonna try fixing it soon, hope to find a supra soon tho

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-10-2008, 03:18 PM
i actually found it was the hose from the thermostat to manifold

Dr_Snooz
05-12-2008, 08:52 PM
You really, really, really want to change all of them. More will break and leave you stranded

...on the side of the freeway

...at rush hour

...fishing around deep in the bowels of your engine for the little tiny hose that broke and dumped out all your coolant

..slicing up your fragile fingers

...in your nice suit

...and slippery shoes

...while people drive by in their sleek German sedans and laugh at you.

Ask me how I know this.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-16-2008, 01:35 PM
thanks for the advice but im not a fancy person im a grease monkey if something breaks i get in there and fix it, i dont care about cutting my fingers or someone in a nicer car driving by i like working on my own stuff hehe

headbanger
05-17-2008, 12:28 PM
they r right i tried the 1 hose at a time on my lxi and it sucked i finally bought several lengths of hose an kept it in car.seemed lik every other time i drove it 4 awhile there a hose would blow.:wave: