PDA

View Full Version : yet another problem:violin:

headbanger
05-08-2008, 11:01 AM
first thing its my 88 lxi accord.starter drags when starting it sounds lik a dead battery but its not.I have replaced starter three times and still does it.Timing is correct,I changed tranny a while back out of a lx to my lxi but tranny is the same i used torque converter that was in the lx just cause i didnt want to mix an match.I checked starter part # at advance.com and the part #,s r the same for lx,dx and lxi with automatics.So i know its not a difference in starters but yet problem remains it really is driving me nuts.Please help me if u can will rtf if u ever need me lol thx alot u guyz r all great this website has really had a huge impact on my car since i found it keep up the good wrk.:cheers:

2oodoor
05-08-2008, 11:43 AM
does it do that all the time everytime or just under certain conditions

Oldblueaccord
05-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Battery?

Battery voltage at rest ? and cranking voltage may help pinpoint the problem.

wp

greentee76
05-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I would start by checking the ground wires.

headbanger
05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
it just does it when it wants to.I did notice the ground coming off of valve cover to frame was frayd but i wouldnt think its bad enough to be a problem.I will change it tomorrow just to be certain.

headbanger
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Battery?

Battery voltage at rest ? and cranking voltage may help pinpoint the problem.

wp

i have a capacitor in car that tells voltage i will go check right now

headbanger
05-08-2008, 02:00 PM
voltage with key on is reading 12.42
voltage when starting drops to around 9.89 then goes up to about 10.32

Oldblueaccord
05-08-2008, 03:26 PM
That sounds correct but if someone checks in the book for me Im not near mine. Usually 12.7 is a good topped off battery and some of the specialty batteries run a little over 13 volts.

I really thought that the auto and the standard starters where differant.

Some of those auto part places can also check the amp draw at start to make sure thats ok.

wp

headbanger
05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
yeah standard and auto r different but all the autos r the same .but i think i might have figured it out looks lik a couple of my bell housing bolts have backed out 1 of them is gone think this might be it.(i hope)will know tomorrow.Got to get it right me an a couple of friends r taking a road trip to c drowning pool,rev theory,uncrowned and 7th day in concert.I will be laughing at all those mustangs sitting at gas pumps along the way hahahaha:gun:

Dr_Snooz
05-08-2008, 09:39 PM
What shape are your battery cables in?

Demon1024
05-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I would start by checking the ground wires.
2x more grounds = good things
check terminals of course
I honestly think that any starter will work, but this only comes from trying 3 different starters on my car one 5-speed and two autos 2 mitsubahs(?) and the other one the other one is worth the extra $

headbanger
05-11-2008, 01:42 PM
battery terminals r the oringnal ones but there is no build up on them.I just replaced the ground from the valve cover to the body with some 2 gauge wire.It didnt help.My dad bought me the best starter for it u could get for christmas so its new.He was kinda dissapointed to when it didnt fix it(lol)Which i was to because i stood out in the snow putting it in because i was excited about having a car that turned over normal.It really does weird me out because ive had no other electrical problems other than the main relay making it not want to start sometimes but i resoldered it the other day also.I double checked tranny bolts and its missing 1 that i may have left out on purpose but there is no crack between block n bell housing.What gets me is why it only does it part of the time.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-11-2008, 03:53 PM
did you replace the ground wires? also battery wires? check the grounds with a volt meter, my car would only turn over sometimes before i changed all of them now it turns over like a charm everytime, but im sure the 135 amp alt helped to lol, also is tranny adjusted right? sometimes it wont start if its not adjusted right

Demon1024
05-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Use the ohmmeter if you have it test all the resistences you can. try hot wiring it to the battery see if that makes any difference.pull of the signal wire on the starter take a resonable sized wire and hook it there then touch the battery with it. that'll rule out the pos and ground cables. then check power at ignition switch. if not there follow the wiring diagrahm cause thats as far as i had to go. good luck

oh and why do you say it's not dead batterry cause 9.* sounds dead to me. how old is it? there's always been only one battery in it right? meaning never two at once.

w261w261
05-12-2008, 10:27 AM
How about trying another battery? And I know this sounds really simple, but have you taken off the cables and cleaned the clamp and battery posts with one of those wire brush thingies that have a male and female part? I'm suspicious of that 9v reading too.

headbanger
05-12-2008, 01:11 PM
no ive never put 2 in thought about it though because of the huge stereo.But the battery is less than a year old.Ill try the hotwire thing in a bit though couldnt hurt that would rule out a few things.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
if you got a upgraded stero redo all grounds, alt to starter batery to starter wires, ect, but your battery sounds bad, you have a cap right? maybe upgrade the alternator to i have a 135 amp one in mine

Hauntd ca3
05-13-2008, 12:30 AM
the 9 and a bit cranking volts is alright.
the limit is 8 volts when cranking generally.
have you checked for voltage drops, both+ and-.
any more than .10 volts is considered excessive.
earth drops generally way less than that is the earth cables are nice and big and the connections are clean.
positive/live side drops present a prob.
get your mutlimeter out and check between the + terminal on the batt and where the big cable goes to the starter soleniod
again less than.1 volts is preferable
them do same test acroos the solenoid when cranking.
if you get more than that .1 volt drop the solenoid could be crook