PDA

View Full Version : More tranny problems

jteuton
09-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Is the rear mount on the manual transmission different than the auto. I thought somebody said it was but the one that came with my manual looks like my auto and now the tranny won't line up with the motor....its like its not lining up with the clutch and plus the rear mount holes will never line up with the holes in the tranny.....what gives?

jteuton
09-21-2002, 02:30 PM
hahahah.......beer time

YK86
09-21-2002, 04:49 PM
Both the rear rubber mount and the rear metal bracket are different between the auto and 5 speed. But you can get away with using the auto rear mount (I didn't change it when converting to 5 speed). You do need a 5 speed bracket though (the black thing that connects to the tranny and then to the rear mount.

jteuton
09-21-2002, 08:35 PM
i worship you.....may some day i have your intelligence

jteuton
09-21-2002, 08:39 PM
oh and another dumb thing. I changed mounts and got it lined up. But now i'm in the dark on the shifter rod and linkages. I have never seen these things hooked up before and i am not sure i am connecting them right. I know where the two parts connect but i think they might be crisscrossed or something cause it seems they are binding on each other and the bottom floor of the car.....does anybody have a pic?.....plus it doesn't look like anything holds the shifter up to the floor of the car or at least the junkyard didn't give me anything so i have no clue what this is suppose to look like.....can you clue me in yk86

PhydeauX
09-21-2002, 11:03 PM
The shifter sits in the torque rod (the one that doesn't have a swivel joint). It doesn't contact the body at all. The rods are pretty simple. The torque rod slips into a bushing back in the tunnel and the other end bolts to the side of the transmission. The end of the shift arm with the swivel connects to the shift rod on the back of the trans. The shift arm should kind of sit under the troque arm, and bend twards the passenger side. The shouldn't bind with each other or the the car. Though they may hit the head shield for the cat (if it does just bang it with a hammer till it fits), dunno if that is diferent between the auto and manual.

This is the best I can do for a pic, http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp?Model=ACCORD&Year=1988&TrimLevel=3DR+LXI&TransLevel=5MTKA&Section=F&Category=B++35++%7CSHIFT+LEVER&Doors=3&Emissions=KA&PartCatalogId=13SE00&ViewParts=true. Its lifted from one of the honda online parts catalog. Not that helpful but it shows most of the parts in their relative places.

andy

jteuton
09-22-2002, 07:46 AM
ok....the problem with the rods is the dumass at the junkyard bolted the shift linkage upside down so instead of it curving down it curved up and hit the body of the car. Thanks for the help. I got the rods fixed but it seems real hard to put it in any gear.....what kind and how much oil should i be using. I suppose I'm suppose to put it in at the bolt at the back and towards the top of differential.....right?....also the lever arm the clutch cable ties into has about a inch or two of free play....is that normal?......other than that i only have to put the speedo gear back in and the upper mount.....then figure out the auto swith and what position it should be in.....then bolt the seats and everything else in the inside together and I should be through.

PhydeauX
09-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Spin the adjusting nut on the clutch cable (where it sits on the bracket on the tranny) untill you have about 1/4" of free play. Yeah that the right botl for the oil. The tranny uses 10w40 oil. The auto switch should be set to neutral.

andy

YK86
09-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Looks like Andy took care of everything! Oh, for the auto switch, there should be one plug with two black wires you unhooked from the auto shifter. Stick a fuse or wire in the plug and jump the two wires. That way, you don't have to have the stupid N or P lighting up on the cluster in a 5 speed.

jteuton
09-22-2002, 10:20 AM
I don't have the auto shifter no more so i'll have to guess about the postions on the switch. How much oil does it take?

PhydeauX
09-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Fill it till it starts to come back out the fill hole. I think its somthing like 2 3/4qts but I'm not sure.

andy