PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6A Question

Pico
05-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I have a MSD 6A installed in the Accord and was wondering if anyone knows how to connect the factory tach to the tach output on the MSD box.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/MSDTach.jpg

2oodoor
05-09-2008, 08:24 AM
It should work off the green or blue negative coil pole as shown on the diagram

EDIT, I see now you have a separate lead for tach, somewhere I have already posted a wire diagram for the coil and tach. I have to go find it.

Oldblueaccord
05-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Whoa Whoa whoa carefull with MSD outs they really step up the voltage to the coil. Could blow your tach. I keep thinking there a white ? out for the tach or the output you got circled. Check the MSD site or maybe call them. I think there is something wrong with the instructions on some models also.

wp

gfrg88
05-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Whoa Whoa whoa carefull with MSD outs they really step up the voltage to the coil.

wp

they sure do, it hurts when you get shocked by them :sadwave:

2oodoor
05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Whoa Whoa whoa carefull with MSD outs they really step up the voltage to the coil. Could blow your tach. I keep thinking there a white ? out for the tach or the output you got circled. Check the MSD site or maybe call them. I think there is something wrong with the instructions on some models also.

wp

well the blue (or green) blue is what the oem schematic shows, is the coil input to the MSD not output.
Either way it would be adviseable to check with MSD.
Seems like the tach output lead there could be exclusiveley for MSD tachs.

M3Galaxie
05-09-2008, 01:00 PM
they sure do, it hurts when you get shocked by them :sadwave:

+1 haha mix that with a blaster 2 coil and you'll have a spark that'll jump from between the spark plug wire boot and cap to get you when adjusting timing.

Yeah, I blew a cheap sunpro tach on with my 6A box. It's lasted about 1 month then would randomly jump to like 6-7k rpm and eventually nothing at all.

Pico
05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
ok I'll look into it with MSD, thanks for the responses.
I was just thinking if it would be better to hook the tach to the 6A and bypass the stock signal to the tach.

AccordB20A
05-09-2008, 03:11 PM
if your MSD has multiple sparks when under 2krpm hooking the tach to the coil outs going to stuff it up anyway. hook it to the input from the old ignitor/ecu/dizzy. the blue wire. thats all i did left it hooked up where it usually was it and works mean.
that tach out is only for when using the magnetic pickup wires

EricW
05-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I used the blue wire when I was OBD0 and when i went OBD1 I had to use the tach output on the 6AL/6A. The tach output has worked fine for a year and a half.