PDA

View Full Version : Can’t Remove Front Wheels after Replacing Axles

swiftymorgan
05-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I decided to have a reputable shop replace both front axles on my 87 Accord LX instead of doing it myself. Afterward I noticed an occasional “squeak-clunk” when stopping also when I when I go over a bump that deflects the front wheel upward something rubs and it feels like the front end was slow to spring back to level on either side meaning sometimes the right side would rub and seem to stay down and then the left and occasionally both sides. All of these problems began after the axles were replaced.

So, I decided to take one of the front wheels off to see what I could see and after removing the lug nuts the WHEEL CAN NOT BE REMOVED even with stiff bumping from the back side. I checked the other side and SAME THING, both front wheels can not be removed.

I will take it back to the repair shop on Monday but I would be interested in any thoughts of what the problem may be so I will be prepared.

I’ve never had any repair work done that wasn’t screwed up which is why I try to do everything myself.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

A18A
05-10-2008, 09:11 AM
could they have welded the wheels to the hubs?

swiftymorgan
05-10-2008, 09:23 AM
could they have welded the wheels to the hubs?
It makes no sense. I looked on the back side as best as I could and don't see anything. The only thing I can think of is the replacement axle spline or taper is the wrong size and swelled something out when the spindle nut was tightened. What ever it is it's on both sides.

Lil Mike
05-10-2008, 09:34 AM
this isn't the best thing to do but just loosen the wheel nuts just like a quarter turn or more then release the pressure in the jack so it drops fast, your wheel wont fall off from this it will just loosen it off the hub.

ghettogeddy
05-10-2008, 09:41 AM
lets see some pics of the front and back
maybe we can tell you from seeing it

russiankid
05-10-2008, 11:05 AM
this isn't the best thing to do but just loosen the wheel nuts just like a quarter turn or more then release the pressure in the jack so it drops fast, your wheel wont fall off from this it will just loosen it off the hub.

That should do it. I can't really think of what could cause a wheel to be stuck onto a hub.

2oodoor
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
mine do that, the steelies anyway... I just kick the shit outta the tire and it pops off. (takess a good kick sometimes) Otherwise it sounds like somebody used the air impact on every nut under there and overtightened to the point it wont move right , or possibly left the bolt outta the strut on the LCA

2oodoor
05-10-2008, 02:49 PM
kick it on the front side not the back side, and using antiseize on that inner circle will prevent it from happening

AccordB20A
05-10-2008, 02:50 PM
undo your wheel nuts and kick the wheel really hard up the top. that usually fixes it for me when i have that problem. duno what makes the rim stick to the hub..........

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-10-2008, 03:26 PM
might be rust or brake dust or impact wrenches sometimes we take sledgehammers to our rims to get them off but i live in wisconsin land of rust

swiftymorgan
05-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've owned this car for 21 years and have done 98% of all the work on it and removed the wheels countless times and never had any problems and now both sides are stuck so I don't think it's a coincidence and must be something the repair shop did (can't imagine what). I will wait and take it to them on Monday in case something is broken (what could break???!) or needs parts ordered.

Oldblueaccord
05-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Steel or aluminim rims? I got a 93 that the steel rims are very hard to get of.

wp

Layson
05-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Get a bigger hammer!

swiftymorgan
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
I decided to have a reputable shop replace both front axles on my 87 Accord LX instead of doing it myself. Afterward I noticed an occasional “squeak-clunk” when stopping also when I when I go over a bump that deflects the front wheel upward something rubs and it feels like the front end was slow to spring back to level on either side meaning sometimes the right side would rub and seem to stay down and then the left and occasionally both sides. All of these problems began after the axles were replaced.

So, I decided to take one of the front wheels off to see what I could see and after removing the lug nuts the WHEEL CAN NOT BE REMOVED even with stiff bumping from the back side. I checked the other side and SAME THING, both front wheels can not be removed.

I will take it back to the repair shop on Monday but I would be interested in any thoughts of what the problem may be so I will be prepared.

I’ve never had any repair work done that wasn’t screwed up which is why I try to do everything myself.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
I finally got time to find the problem, it was rust. It was about 8 degrees with freshly salted roads when the work was done so I figure the salty water was trapped and really rusted rims to the wheels. It took several big league kicks to break them loose. I coated the contact surfaces with axle grease to prevent the problem in the future. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.