PDA

View Full Version : fiber glass

oscwrestler
05-10-2008, 04:22 PM
where do you buy the spray on fiberglass stuff?

ghettogeddy
05-10-2008, 04:36 PM
where do you buy the spray on fiberglass stuff?

at the store lol
search google you will find it

2oodoor
05-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Probably at the same place you would buy the equipment (special) to spray it with, including containment, guns, cleaning equipment, full dress out protective suits and filtration masks.
If you are crazy enough you can probably rent an insulation blower outfit from home depot and then mix up some resin sprayable thru a paint sprayer... but that would be insane unless you were building a hot tub or something huge.
Im tired, that is the best I can come up with.:violin:

oscwrestler
05-10-2008, 05:33 PM
ok thanks. i got a couple how to's on it. do you guys think a fiberglass hood would be too much of a pain to do?

2oodoor
05-10-2008, 05:48 PM
not at all, post pics of the mold when you get it made, you may have some buyers for that
I have been dreaming about doing one with a raised center contour, same factory contour but three or so inches higher

oscwrestler
05-10-2008, 06:04 PM
i've been thinking about doing the fenders and all that as well. but this is definatley just some big dreaming for me right now. the only downside i can see is the mounting. my stepdad had a full fiberglass front end made for his 240z and when he went to mount it there were no mounting holes or anything.

2oodoor
05-10-2008, 06:11 PM
yea, you have to incorporate metal (or some thing strong) tabs where the mounting areas are. You put them inside the glass while it is being layered on. Some places you just make it where it will be bonded to inner structure, kind of like corvettes are put together.

oscwrestler
05-10-2008, 06:17 PM
thats what i was thinking for the hood. but for fenders or bumpers there is no need to have them. bolts would work wouldnt they? if you put a 10mm bolt right were the holes are in the stock piece that should work.

2oodoor
05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Fenders would be a bonding situation on that top part for sure, the corners could be riveted. The problem with bolts would be stress cracks, I am not saying it can't be done, but just look at anything fiberglass that has been bolted to something a while, especially something that moves and flexes like unibody cars, boats, airplanes.

2oodoor
05-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Stress cracks can be a problem for small panels like these, it can ruin a paint job for one thing.

oscwrestler
05-10-2008, 07:07 PM
i didnt even think about that. i guess for the hood you could always use those hood clips. then when you wanted to work on your engine you could just take off the entire hood.

lostforawhile
05-10-2008, 08:23 PM
thats what i was thinking for the hood. but for fenders or bumpers there is no need to have them. bolts would work wouldnt they? if you put a 10mm bolt right were the holes are in the stock piece that should work.
you need to take a steel piece for the holes and incorporate it right into the fiberglass. also use matt not cloth for the big pieces parts made with cloth tend to crack the matt is better for big areas.

ghettogeddy
05-10-2008, 08:51 PM
wound not look bad if they had a nice stainless bolt going through the panel

itzdave
05-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Fenders would be a bonding situation on that top part for sure, the corners could be riveted. The problem with bolts would be stress cracks, I am not saying it can't be done, but just look at anything fiberglass that has been bolted to something a while, especially something that moves and flexes like unibody cars, boats, airplanes.

wouldnt the pressure from the rivet cause more damage that a bolt? rivets take quite a lot of pressure to be properly squeezed (i used to be a sheetmetal mech on aircraft)

i too have thought about making a 'glass hood and/or fenders. i think the best way to make the hood would be to make a 'mold' of some sort, and start laying down the matt. if ya use the spray 'glass, it would take too much and it would be too thick to look good. im pretty sure, as far as mounting goes, if you used a bolt with a washer on each side, and maybe even a small rubber washer/'mini-grommet' for added protection, it should suffice...
correct me if im wrong tho.

Civic Accord Honda
05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
i can see making a fiberglass hood but why fenders? the stock fenders arent that heavy at all so it would be alot of work for not much of a difference just my 02cents but i think a fiberglass hood would be pretty badass

oscwrestler
05-11-2008, 11:07 AM
i see your point on the fenders. i think a hood with a very small cowl would be good so you can actually fit something under the hood.