PDA

View Full Version : Speedo cable grease

russiankid
05-13-2008, 12:28 PM
My needle jumps below 30mph, and shakes a little bit above that. I know this is do to lack of grease, and to prevent any further damage, what grease should I use to lubricate it? I am aware that it has to be spray grease, but I could be wrong.

What are the best ways to do this? Is it necessary to remove the cable from the gauge cluster? If it has to be removed, do I need to remove it completely out of the car?

2oodoor
05-13-2008, 01:00 PM
any high temp grease, anything else will melt and be a mess later
I used to just pull the whole cable out from the top and grease it, being carefull not to let it touch the ground. Then I put just a touch on the drive end that goes in the speedo head.
Now I am not sure this one comes out from the top, there are threads on this somewhere here.

forrest89sei
05-13-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd remove the cable, I tryed just removing the center and it got stuck about half way when i was putting it back in, I used like a high temp silicon grease

If you find a problem with the cable such as cracks in the casing, you can get a NEW cable for less then $10 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1166992,parttype,1440

russiankid
05-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys I'll have to get some grease and tackle this task. I may just let this cable die and get a new one for $10. :D