PDA

View Full Version : Weber jetting woes

turabaka
05-14-2008, 02:04 AM
Well, now that it's starting to warm up around here my car is running really rich. It idles extremely high because of this. I know that the problem is that the idle jets are too big, so I need to find some smaller ones. I think I have 50's in there right now. My question is where's a good place to buy jet's from, and what is the absolute smallest idle jet I can get? Is it a 40 or do they make them smaller, and I just haven't found them yet?

rjudgey
05-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Have you tried turning the idle jet screws in a couple of turns that may help, failing that whack a 45 or 40 in.

BTW what carbs are we talking about??? DGV38/38 or 32/36 or DCOE's 40/45's? Also what kinda spec is the engine??? What you done to it exhaus, header, headwork, cams, etc.etc.

turabaka
05-14-2008, 03:09 AM
Hehe. Sorry I forgot to mention it's a 38 weber. Electric choke. other mods include. 2.25 inch mandrel bent exhaust with magnaflow cat, and muffler. Also and MSD blaster 2 coil. I've tried turning in the idle screws, but the problem is that I'm at a pretty high altitude, so there's not a lot I can do. It ran decent when it was 30 outside because the air was packed more densely, but now that it's in the 60's it's running a lot richer than it already was.

rjudgey
05-14-2008, 03:39 AM
You don't have to go down a huge amount if you have 50maybe try a 45 40 i'd say would be a bit extreme, Are you sure you just haven't got your ignition timing to far advanced as this will give you a high idle speed as well?? 50 Should be about right for a 2.0 litre engine. Redline manifolds does a jetting kit but bit pricey but they do individual ones too.

2ndGenGuy
05-14-2008, 08:08 AM
I get my jets from Carbs Unlimited. I dunno how long shipping takes from Washington, but I get them next day. It's annoying not having a shop in town isn't it?

http://www.carburetion.com/

On a side note... I've got 45s in mine for my 1.8, and they're a bit rich as well. Just about right, but 40s I think will do the trick. I would think like rjudgey said the 45s or 50s would be about right.

turabaka
05-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I get my jets from Carbs Unlimited. I dunno how long shipping takes from Washington, but I get them next day. It's annoying not having a shop in town isn't it?

http://www.carburetion.com/

On a side note... I've got 45s in mine for my 1.8, and they're a bit rich as well. Just about right, but 40s I think will do the trick. I would think like rjudgey said the 45s or 50s would be about right.

yeah, but you guys need to remember that I'm at a higher altitude than just about everyone on this board. I was running rich in the middle of below freezing weather.

edit: I can get the jets in Boise if I need them, but they charge out the ass for them.

cygnus x-1
05-15-2008, 08:00 PM
I like these guys:
http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/

But Carbs Unlimited is good too. Just find the cheapest ones, they're all the same.

I would try 45s first, but you might as well order some 40s too just in case. If I remember right you want the idle screws to be between 1 and 2 turns out from fully in. If you have to go below about 1 turn out then you need smaller idle jets.

C|

turabaka
05-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I went out and checked what idle jets were in it. I thought I had 50's in it, but apparently it's already 45's. So, I went ahead and ordered the 40's. Hopefully that solves my problem. If it doesn't though what else can I do to get it running right?

turabaka
05-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Alright I got my 40 idle jets yesterday, and installed them today. It still runs rich as hell. Does anybody have any idea what I can do to get it running like it should?

2oodoor
05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
float level
is it just idling rich or just rich all the time, boggy and such:dunno:

turabaka
05-28-2008, 01:54 PM
It idles really rich. It's pretty good through the rest of the powerband though. Perfect at cruising, and a just a touch rich at wide open throttle.

BITESIZE
05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Trevor, is it still doing what it was doing when I drove your car? Would an O2 senser make it run that way?

turabaka
05-28-2008, 04:55 PM
uh... it was doing a couple of things wrong when you drove it. Which one? I also don't think it's an O2 sensor because they don't control the air/fuel mixture for the weber. Besides it's brand new anyway.

2oodoor
05-29-2008, 03:52 AM
things to check:or consider:
Float level
choke angle
You may need a smaller main jet
check for sure there are no vacuum leaks
check you have vaccum advance on manifold vacuum and connected to the inner nipple on the distributor
Note that you can run considerably higher base timing (ignition) with the exhaust and weber mod. Factory spec is out the door now, but you would need to get it set with the least amount of throttle stop idle screw setting (not mix idle screw) as possible
pull out both idle jets (the ones on the outside) and inspect them for knicks or debris
look down into the top of the carb view the air corrector jets, make sure there is not any trash laying on top of one of them.