PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in the crankcase, fuel odor...

offthahook
05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
89 lx-i with 100K. I checked the oil when I first got it and thought "Damn, it's a little overfilled." I always smell fuel when the thing is running though. AT first I thought it was a valve cover gasket because they seem to fail regularly and no one really replaces them like they should. The oil definitely has fuel in it and the whole car smells like fresh fuel (nothing else) even after I shut it off. REALLY strong gas odor in the garage, like when you spill some fuel at a gas station. I'm thinking leaky injector (oring maybe) or my buddy mentioned a fuel pressure regulator at the end of a fuel rail would spew gas into the crankcase. Do these sound like plausible explanations and are either of them known 3rd gen Accord issues? :cheers:

2oodoor
05-14-2008, 11:44 PM
89 lx-i with 100K. I checked the oil when I first got it and thought "Damn, it's a little overfilled." I always smell fuel when the thing is running though. AT first I thought it was a valve cover gasket because they seem to fail regularly and no one really replaces them like they should. The oil definitely has fuel in it and the whole car smells like fresh fuel (nothing else) even after I shut it off. REALLY strong gas odor in the garage, like when you spill some fuel at a gas station. I'm thinking leaky injector (oring maybe) or my buddy mentioned a fuel pressure regulator at the end of a fuel rail would spew gas into the crankcase. Do these sound like plausible explanations and either of the known 3rd gen Accord issues? :cheers:

plausible:thumbup:leaky injector issues

Dr_Snooz
05-15-2008, 05:20 AM
When my injectors went, they started leaking fuel into the engine compartment. If yours are doing this, it should be readily apparent with just a visual inspection.

Not sure about the fuel in the crankcase. I'd think if it was your regulator, it would make the car run poorly, but not sure. There's a diagnostic procedure in the Honda manual that would be well worth peforming.

2oodoor
05-15-2008, 06:11 AM
sorry I couldnt reach the keyboard earlier, It would be injectors first, but check the regulator it does serve as a check valve for rail pressure.
You will need to keep that oil changed if it is contaminated with a lot of fuel it will cause a lot of problems, major problems.

Pop the back seat and check your tank plumbing too !!!!

bank2me
05-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Yea my bros 88 300zx always smelt like gas for some odd reason too. I never did look into it though. Check all the fuel lines and everything like those guys said. Good luck man

2ndGenGuy
05-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Ah yeah be careful! If gas is getting in the cylinders and washing past the rings, it's washing oil off the cylinder walls and if its in your oil, it can wash or thin the oil out of the bearings. That would be a shame on a 100,000 mile car! Especially one as fresh and clean as yours!

gfrg88
05-15-2008, 08:24 AM
ive noticed that on modded cars, where the car runs a little rich the oil smells lke gas often... never really thought anything about it...

Hauntd ca3
05-16-2008, 12:57 AM
if the pintles inthe injctors are worn/pitted or being held partially open by a bit of grit thats made it past the filter this could happen
as said by 2n gen guy, this can shag your motor real quick unless you sort it out.
it dilutes the oil aswell and you lose most of the lube qualities of the oil and all your bearings will go awell
it just aint good eh dude

2oodoor
05-16-2008, 05:38 AM
ive noticed that on modded cars, where the car runs a little rich the oil smells lke gas often... never really thought anything about it...

a little rich is a good thing, it cools the cyl some/ but when you are picking it up on the oil level that is WAY too much :cheers:

offthahook
05-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Rest assured, the car is parked. If nothing else I only drove it long enough to cleanse the internals with a mostly oil and small anount of fuel solution. I would say that the dipstick is maybe 3/8" above the top hole. No performance issues at all. I guess I just did the "old school" engine internal cleaning! A few old farts have told me they used to put diesel fuel in the crankcase and run it for awhile to kinda flush the engine. I hear ya on the wear issues though; that's why it's been parked until I sort it all out. There's not a whole lot of fuel in there (enough to not drive it though) and I don't think anything was compromised in the little bit I drove it.