PDA

View Full Version : HIDs at last

HondaBoy
05-15-2008, 12:00 AM
well not yet for the 3gee, but for my legacy. i went by one of my customer's shops and am getting an H7 8000k kit for about $400 installed. he showed me the one on his truck and it was awsome. so if things go well the 3gee will be getting them too, except i'll be doing the installation since its more of a project car and i can take my time on it. they were ordered today, so within 7 days or less they should be on the car. and i'll be taking before and after pix.

bank2me
05-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Decent. The 8ks aren't too purple and not too yellow. Good choice. You should get pics up.

MessyHonda
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
400 bucks is alot of money....over here they are like 120-150 for HID kits on like craigslist...some say like 90 day warranty and some up to a year...hope you are getting top of the line stuff

HondaBoy
05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
well i'm not real sure one the brand, i dont recall. the shop owner showed them to me on his vehicle and has installed them on a bunch of other trucks. and if they're the ones i've seen around town, then i should be happy. i looked at the ballast, wiring and bulb assemebly. they looked to be of high quality unlike a lot i've seen from ebay. with HIDs, i will finally be happy with my lighting. i've gone with loads of bulbs over the years. my favorites being my PIAA H4s in my 3gee. for the accord, i'll be ordering Hella housings. but that'll be a bit later. and yeah, definately before and after pix! i think i might order from work some yellow Nokya H3s for the fogs to give it "the look".

EricW
05-15-2008, 07:44 PM
I had the Hella e-codes with osram silver stars and then up graded to 8000K HIDs and was truly impressed. The amount of light output is much better and the cut off lines with the Hella e-codes is really good.

HondaBoy
05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
so you used the european code helllas? i was going to go with some US dot approved ones. you didnt have a problem with them shining more onto the left side of the road? either way, hella housings for my HIDs on the 3gee. so which ones, E codes or US dot?

EricW
05-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Here is an article on the difference between the dot apptoved and the e-code housings. I bought my e-codes from this company also.

http://www.rallylights.com/useful_info/Vision_Plus.htm

russiankid
05-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Here is an article on the difference between the dot apptoved and the e-code housings. I bought my e-codes from this company also.

http://www.rallylights.com/useful_info/Vision_Plus.htm

I am using the Hella Off-road lights, a lot better than DOT approved.:wave:

HondaBoy
05-24-2008, 04:27 PM
here we go. i finally got them installed. finding time to take it in was a chore in itself. now i get to try them out when the sun goes down. i should be satisfied at last.

they look more like blueish in these pix but they are a purpleish color. maybe i can mess with the exposure settings and get them to come out right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07577.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07578.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07579.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07580.jpg

Cheeseburger
05-24-2008, 05:02 PM
nice!

HondaBoy
05-24-2008, 07:30 PM
well indeed i am happy with these. they are very bright and light up a whole lot more than any halogen would. i'm thinking about getting the fog lights done as well. but i dunno yet. i might go with some PIAA ion yellow H3 bulbs.

this setup is pretty nice. the guy did a nice job to where you dont really see anything. only thing i can see is the power wire and ballests, but you do have to look for them.

LxAcc510
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
HondaBoy you got any pics of the set up?

HondaBoy
06-07-2008, 05:02 PM
to tell you the truth, there isnt much you can see. the ballast/starter boxs are tucked away where you really cant see them. and the wiring to them is done in the same manor, to where you dont see it. only real visible part is the power wire with the fuse link on it. i'll try and get some pix so y'all can see what i mean. man i am just loving these lights!

86ccord
06-07-2008, 06:47 PM
looks good.. i have HID's on my 3g.. and they are amazing! looks real blue.. but anyways.. you will be happy with them.. looks good once again!

HondaBoy
06-23-2008, 11:09 PM
well again i will say im happy with my investment on an HID setup for my subaru legacy. i hope to get them for my '87 and '02 accords. i dont know if i will change to a projector lense or stay with a refelector type lense. for either car i can get projectors. but thats probably less cost effective than using the headlight housings i have. for the 3gee i was thinking i'd get the hella vison plus housings instead of projectors. i'm concerned on the amount of upper glare on that car though. so i dunno if hella e codes or dot vison plus housings are best. either way there will still but a lot of upper glare compared to a projector lense.

i was looking at this picture. if you notice the purple like glare you can see near the lower part of the grill, left driver side of the car, that is pretty much the color they look like in person. not the blue you see from the lense.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07578.jpg

Zwolfe
08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
I can vouch for Retro-Solutions H4 BiXenon HID kits.

At least on my Odyssey no glare what so ever that wouldn't already be there if the halogens were brighter. Using stock halogen reflector housings.

If I ever get the dough and Hella H4 conversions for the Accord I'll definitely be picking some up.

Lifetime on the ballasts and bulbs too. And the owner is a pretty cool guy, he usually responds same day if you have any questions or concerns. Good service.

As for lighting, well, low beams are good. The ground is bright. But I think the halogens lighted up signs a little better. This is probably due to the HID's using a shield cutting off light up that high. You can see signs just fine, I just have this memory of the halogen bulbs for some reason making them easier to make out at a distance.

The high beams, if you are on the highway and no traffic is around you can light up road signs over a mile away. It's like daylight. It takes my eyes a bit to get adjusted to the lumen output of the light being thrown back at me off the road signs because it's so damn bright, it almost stings. Actually it does sting for a while. Almost hurts. I'm sure I'd get plenty of pissed drivers if I fail to remember to turn high beams off.

8 / 9 months so far equipped with them and no getting flashed by oncoming cars and no police ever looked at me twice from WV to SC and back.

The above is using their 55w rated digital HID ballast & 55w 4300k bulbs. I wanted no blue at all. But at startup they're purple, then blue, and turn white after about 10 seconds. That's pretty cool and I can live with that, bonus feature.

They have an adjustable output setup now they're selling as well but I have no experience with that.

Thought someone might of found this interesting / useful. They have a Honda Tech discount page for a discounted price that's what I used. $170 lifetime ballasts / bulbs.

HondaBoy you might want to check it out and shave about $230 that you could spend on booze and women instead. Or video games, or more Accord stuff, lol. Debts even if you have any lol.

Low_Rida
08-03-2008, 07:40 AM
HondaBoy you might want to check it out and shave about $230 that you could spend on booze and women instead. Or video games, or more Accord stuff, lol. Debts even if you have any lol.

LMAO he has a good point.

nswst8
08-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Amazon has Promax H4 HID conversion kits.