PDA

View Full Version : Where is the A/C compressor clutch relay?

nfs480
05-15-2008, 08:17 PM
When I turn on my A/C the fans come on but the clutch does not always engage. So I was going through the diagnostics in the shop manual and after checking the #5 fuse it says to disconnect the 4P connector from the compressor clutch relay. It shows it's location in the diagram but I cannot for the life of me find it on my car. Can anyone get a picture and highlight or circle it for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blkblurr
05-16-2008, 07:34 AM
The problem is most likely the pressure switch that drives the relay. It detects low freon and disables the relay from closing. I believe the relay is in the fuse box under the hood.

nfs480
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
From the diagram in the manual it looks like it is to the right of the compressor somewhere but I can't find it. I believe the switch is good because the fans on the radiator come on and according to the shop manual if a low level of freon is detected, the entire system (including fans) will be shut down.

Oldblueaccord
05-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Just a couple guesses here but I think there is a relay in the motor area maybe near the radaitor mount again a guess. I don't think the low pressure switch cuts off the condensor fans since they run weather the compressors clutches up or not.

Whats your symptoms with your AC?

wp

Dr_Snooz
05-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Follow the wires (I think they're blue) that run from the clutch to the frame member.

nfs480
05-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Ok, I found the relay. The symptoms are that sometimes my A/C works and sometimes it doesn't. I've noticed when i've had the hood up and the A/C on that the compressor cuts in and out, it doesn't just constantly run the entire time the A/C is on.

nfs480
05-16-2008, 09:58 PM
OK, I have now become aware that the compressor cycling on and off is considered normal operation. Which I guess makes my real problem the fact that sometimes it won't come on at all. Like sometimes when I turn on the A/C I just get hot air for the entire drive, no matter how long it is, and other times it will function perfectly and output freezing cold air.

Oldblueaccord
05-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey buddy. Yes the compressor cycles just like you said. As far as it blowing cold(normal) sometimes and then hot other 2 things I can think of.

1. Make sure the compressor is actually on. Theres a plug low that attaches to the compressor clutch maybe its bad.

2. You might have a blockage in your AC system itself causing it not to cycle the freon properly. It usually means complete evacutation of all the freon and at the very least vacuum down to remove whats in there or replacing parts in the system like evaporator or condensor. Then recharging with new freon.

wp

nfs480
05-17-2008, 06:17 PM
hey, I've noticed that when the system only blows hot air the compressor doesn't come on at all. So sometimes the compressor works fine, others it doesn't kick in. I'll look into that plug on the compressor clutch and see if I can find it tomorrow. Thanks.

Dr_Snooz
05-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Have you put gauges on the car to confirm that you aren't just low on freon?

nfs480
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
I have not, but it has done this since I last had the car charged at the Honda dealer. I don't think the freon would leak out that quickly and then not leak at all. I even had it checked for leaks at the honda dealer (using the UV dye or whatever). I would confirm but I don't have the proper tools or gauges, do places like Napa or Autozone test for freon pressure?

Dr_Snooz
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Well, if it's R-12, that stuff is pretty valuable now. Any shop would be inclined to be pretty miserly putting it into an old car. I had a local shop harvest my R-12 when I took it in to have them check for leaks. Car went in a little low and came back dead empty, along with a quote for $1,100 in repairs.

I'd say put gauges on it to be sure you have sufficient freon before doing anything more in the way of repairs.