PDA

View Full Version : School me

WTMARK
05-16-2008, 01:59 PM
My new/old Accord is growing on me. When I'm out and about, I always keep my eyes open for parts cars laid up in driveways and backyards.
Which Accord motors will interchange with my '89 LXi 4 door?
What about 5 speed transmissions? I've heard carb models had better "highway gears".
What other Honda models share the basic platform and engines/transmissions?

Please take me to school.

ghettogeddy
05-16-2008, 02:13 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/search.php
consider your self in class

2oodoor
05-16-2008, 02:28 PM
You already indicated hints of an addictive personality, you are hooked .. LOL

Welcome

cubert
05-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Performance Thread (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61469)

That link should be a good start...

WTMARK
05-16-2008, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=roodoo2;877444]You already indicated hints of an addictive personality, you are hooked .. LOL

It's not that. I like the little POS. I am looking for a fuel efficient runabout that lacks airbags, GPS and all the other BS that still is reasonably comfortable. I want to gather up enough spares so I could possibly run it forever............rust is not an issue in West Texas; spare parts is.
95% of my driving is highway so fuel efficiency is tantamount. I want to get the revs down as much as possible @ 65mph. I want a spare motor, and other spares stockpiled because old cars are getting crushed as soon as they hit the scrapyard...............pretty soon, with the price of scrap iron, junkyards won't stock anything older than ten years old.

The nice thing about this car is it's relative simplicity for a modern car. Plus, after wrenching on it, it seems to be well built and thought out.

2oodoor
05-16-2008, 04:20 PM
you make a good case WTMARK, I agree 100 percent.
These are the very cars that set the bar for even cars being built today. I can look at my sedans parked next to my crown vic (ten years newer) and observe dozens of design and engineering similarities. Oddly enough though , these cars were designed ACCORDingly to Mercedes sedans with a Toyota quality twist. They were intended to serve a complex taste for simpliciy yet luxurious style. Look up Accord in the Websters.
SRS (airbags) are a good thing, there have been lots of improvements since the gen 1 airbags. I watched a wreck happen today, I was three seconds behind it.. if it were not for airbags and proper child restraints there would surely have been fatalities . If I were in this vehicle's place I would not be typing right now, this Navigator was T boned at 60 mph, I watched the bottom turn up three times, everything in it spilled out on the road, the independant rear suspension broke apart in three "independant" pieces. Side and front air bags deployed, the baby was safe and making lots of sounds..:) the Navigator luckily landed on it's wheels. I (among otherss) had to stop an assist, until the law got there. I tell ya what, it hit me on a delay, on the ride the rest of the way home I was pretty dam rattled.