PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter HELP

johnnygo
05-17-2008, 12:41 AM
hello I'm new to this site but already have found it to be incredibly helpfull.My 87 lx was my first car and my favorite. Sold it once but felt so sorry paid almost twice as much to her back. Well anyway, the teeth on my torque converter were cracked off and the rest were slashed in half does anyone have any idea why?

Also, when I spun the cracked t/c when it was still up in the the tranny attached to the car it spun freely and not to hard. I just yesterday replaced the tranny alltogether from another accord but the t/c doesnt turn as freely , it turns a bit and then it feel like it locks, I turned it manually . Should I be worried?

what is the difference between starters in a four speed and a five speed?

Thanks to all!

Hauntd ca3
05-17-2008, 01:42 AM
should be no diff in the starters
i run a auto one in my manual and its fine
when you turn the converter, do you mean turning the whole flexplate/converter assembly
When you turn the converter you are turning the motor since its attached to the crank via the flexplate
if you could turn your old one would mean it wasnt attached or something was wrong
and the teeth could have been broken off the converter by the starter being loose and not meshing with the ring gear properly but the starter teeth would show the wear pretty bad as well

A18A
05-17-2008, 02:11 AM
actually all starter motors are the same (b20, a20 etc) except for the manual A's.
I'm pretty surprised how the teeth are stripped. I've had my starter loosley bolted in once, end result was it snapped the starter/solenoid housing :O

Oldblueaccord
05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
might have been the key got stuck and it wranked it off or some one was bad about starting it with it already running.

From what I looked on rockauto there are 2 differant part numbers for starters by manual trans and auto but I never have had 2 in my hands at the same time.

Not sure about the TC part might be dragging on the bellhousing a little and you didnt notice it.

wp

johnnygo
05-21-2008, 10:29 PM
finishe assembling the car and turn the car on and put in gear and NOW A LEAK a MAJOR ONE! So I took it down and everything looked fine I thought maybe I Installed the converter off center a little so I line it up and spin it .and it seems fine so I put the tranny back up and the same thing . I replaced the torque convert < that was new mind you> and no leak! but I noticed that when the other converter was up there it must have been rubbing on the housing wall because the housin as well as the T/c had scrapes all the way around and on the housing it actually wore out the flat section above the shift linkage enough where I can feel a groove Should I be Worried? Thanks For the input by the way!