PDA

View Full Version : what else should be done when replaceing the head gasket?

Civic Accord Honda
05-17-2008, 06:22 PM
im most likely going to get rid of my 3gee due to it needing alot of work but if i were to fix it what else should i do if i replace the blown head gasket
heres the list i made is there anything else i should add to it?

oil filter
spark plugs
full gasket set
oil
coolent
thomostat
Timing Belt Component Kit
spark plug wires (mine are shot so mine aswell replace them)
coolent lines
vac lines

Pico
05-17-2008, 06:50 PM
you might want to check to see have the head is warped.
Are you doing just the gasket or are you also changing the valve stem seals..

russiankid
05-17-2008, 07:30 PM
New oil pump seals. I bet your's are leaking, which can cause low oil pressure once the oil gets hot.

Civic Accord Honda
05-17-2008, 08:02 PM
you might want to check to see have the head is warped.
Are you doing just the gasket or are you also changing the valve stem seals..
the gasket kit id be purchesseing includes the valve stem seals

New oil pump seals. I bet your's are leaking, which can cause low oil pressure once the oil gets hot.
yeah i will be replaceing almost ever gasket/seal on the engine lol

2drSE-i
05-17-2008, 09:37 PM
sounds like youve got quite the project there CAH. While your at it, maybe replace your coolant lines? Couldn't hurt.

Civic Accord Honda
05-17-2008, 09:50 PM
sounds like youve got quite the project there CAH. While your at it, maybe replace your coolant lines? Couldn't hurt.
true that would be a very good idea! wouldent wanna put it all back together then have a line brust and blow the head gasket again that would suck

2oodoor
05-18-2008, 12:18 AM
dejavous

A18A
05-18-2008, 12:50 AM
haha yeah ive blown a few hoses after i replaced my head gasket, didnt realise till after about 20 mins of thrashing it

forrest89sei
05-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Oil Fillter
Oil
Crank Seal (only if you use a OEM Honda Gasket and can do it)
Oil Pump Seal
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Gasket Kit for Intake, Exhaust, Injectors, etc..
High Temp RTV
Coolant
Thermostat
Timing Belt Component Kit
All Coolant Hoses (Including the bypass ones on the intake mani)
Vacuum Lines
Carb Cleaner, Clean some Carbon off valve since you must have LOADS running rich sooo long, etc..

AccordB20A
05-18-2008, 08:59 PM
i would get the head plained if i was you

cygnus x-1
05-18-2008, 09:38 PM
- Oil separator box to PCV valve tube
- PCV valve
- Oil separator box to oil pan tube
- Water pump

C|

Ichiban
05-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Nobody mentioned valve lapping/grinding, as well as inspecting the valve guides and seals?

Dr_Snooz
05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
- Oil separator box to PCV valve tube
- PCV valve
- Oil separator box to oil pan tube
- Water pump

C|

That breather box is such a PITA. The whole thing just kinda crumbled on me when I did my swap. Took days to get it sorted out.

forrest89sei
05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Nobody mentioned valve lapping/grinding, as well as inspecting the valve guides and seals?

Well I'd do that personally if i were doing a head gasket, but I doubt he's going to be able to afford that

Oldblueaccord
05-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Well brother if your just gonna flip the car I just slap a gasket on it and go. get the head checked for a warp or do it yourself.

Otherwise the only thing I could add to the list is figure out why it warped in the first place? go thru the cooling system.

wp

Civic Accord Honda
05-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Well brother if your just gonna flip the car I just slap a gasket on it and go. get the head checked for a warp or do it yourself.

Otherwise the only thing I could add to the list is figure out why it warped in the first place? go thru the cooling system.

wp
i honesty dont know why it just blew it only overheated once and thats when the clutch blew out back in 2006 and has been running fine since
then a few weeks ago i noticed i was loosing coolent out the tail pipe then after about a week of that the oil/coolent mix started
the car only has about 170K miles on it and still never overheats =/

AZmike
05-23-2008, 07:24 AM
If your budget allows you may want to consider getting the head rebuilt. I'm sure it depends a lot on the area, but I got an A20 head checked for cracks, milled, seats cut and valves lapped for $150. The engine was noticeably stronger afterward.

evil88accordLX
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
....then after about a week of that the oil/coolent mix started

generally means you are about 3/16" from being fucked.......

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2008, 04:14 PM
If your budget allows you may want to consider getting the head rebuilt. I'm sure it depends a lot on the area, but I got an A20 head checked for cracks, milled, seats cut and valves lapped for $150. The engine was noticeably stronger afterward.
i have another engine i plan on doing a full rebuild on over time so my plans are just to get this one back on the road and running again