PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint

bank2me
05-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Has anyone tried the pre-cut window tint off ebay? I've tried the wal-mart tint with the clear backing before and it is a bitch to cut. And if you fold the piece then it is junk. I figured maybe try the precut stuff.

ghettogeddy
05-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Has anyone tried the pre-cut window tint off ebay? I've tried the wal-mart tint with the clear backing before and it is a bitch to cut. And if you fold the piece then it is junk. I figured maybe try the precut stuff.

try it if any thing its just money right lol
i always get mine installed by a professional so i have a warranty

bank2me
05-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Going with professional can get expensive though. But it looks damn good though. I guess you get what you pay for. It's just money right.

forrest89sei
05-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I think the hardest thing is even if you use the highest quality tint, it's getting it just right, no bubbles, smears, etc...

I'd rather save up for a proper pro job then even try it myself

frantik
05-19-2008, 12:29 PM
go read tintdude.com forums to get an idea what tint pros think about ebay tints. here's a thread on it: http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40968&hl=ebay

basically it comes down to the fact that the tint film is not super good quality, and you're not super experienced with applying the tint. both of those things mean the results will likely be less than stellar. also my tinter said 3gee sedans are a bitch to tint the rear glass since it curves almost to a 90 degree angle

Civic Accord Honda
05-19-2008, 12:32 PM
i might tint mine myself i could give to shits what it looks like just so it keeps the car cooler right now haha high temp + no A/C = fail

frantik
05-19-2008, 01:25 PM
i could give to shits what it looks likewords cah lives by :crying: :wave:

Civic Accord Honda
05-19-2008, 01:31 PM
words cah lives by :crying: :wave: lol il care once other things are fixxed :wave:

knarg
05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
then why all the stickers..?

Civic Accord Honda
05-19-2008, 01:58 PM
stickers make it look better and none of them are ricey :)

lostforawhile
05-19-2008, 02:14 PM
i havea couple,i have the vintage ngk sticker and the aeroquip sticker,but i have no fake stickers. nothing too over the top. as far as the tint,for gods sake,get it done by a pro. i have been trying to clean crappy tint off of the rear window on the civic for a year now. had no choice but to destroy the defroster lines it bubbles up then bakes on to the window in a mess that doesn't want to remove. also the cheap stuff has bad optics and makes things seem blurry through the windows.

MessyHonda
05-19-2008, 03:04 PM
i love my tint

jenkinsauto
05-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I've Been Tinting Windows For Years Now And I Would Recommend Going To A Shop And Having It Done.the Precut And Part Store Tint Will Fade In A Year Or So And Will Turn Purple. I Give A Life Time Warrenty For Peeling And Fading..plus If You Don't Know How To Heat Shrink The Back Window Your Waisting Your Time And Money.

86ccord
05-19-2008, 05:59 PM
stickers make it look better and none of them are ricey :)

LOL makes your car go faster eh?

Strahan
05-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I thought about tinting my own windows on my last car, but then I remembered when I tried to tint my Caravan's windows. Man that sucked. I don't have a pic, but after a few months it looked like this:

http://www.samgreenspan.com/extras/badtintjob.jpg

When I tinted my last car, I took it to a shop. $200 to do the rear window and the four door windows and when I sold the car two years later it still looked like this:

http://pics.nischan.com/images/vehicles/1997%20bmw%20740i/DSC00107.JPG

Sorry for the big pic. But yea, go to a shop. Quality work is worth it.

evil88accordLX
05-20-2008, 07:16 AM
If You Don't Know How To Heat Shrink The Back Window Your Waisting Your Time And Money.

so true, and if you do it yourself you can easily destroy the film with a heatgun if you arent careful. i too have tinted numerous cars, always with a second person for eyes on the outside, and its an incredibly frustrating process. its always been with excellent end results, but unless you just want to do it yourself, take it somewhere.

2oodoor
05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
If you are going to do it yourself, get a roll at walmart and tint some house windows, or just get a storm door and practice to see if it is something you want to try.
As for ebay precut, you do not know what you are getting, it could be a way for a tint shop to get rid of rolls of lesser quality tint they got stuck with. Most tint shops now have the croppers with programs to pre cut the tint, you can always just buy it precut direct from local tint shops.
Your car being a hatchback it will not be as much as it would for my sedans, not as many windows.
You can make your own precuts to, the old fashion way. Cut out a piece big enough and work the tint's peel off side on the glass with some mild vey mild soapy water, lightyly squeegy it to the outside of the glass and trim around the tint piece to get it close to what you need. Then take the tint over to a storm door with a big glass or a big bathroom mirror and trim it up a litte more then go peel it and apply it. You can goof up just as bad with pre cut.

lostforawhile
05-20-2008, 04:03 PM
If you are going to do it yourself, get a roll at walmart and tint some house windows, or just get a storm door and practice to see if it is something you want to try.
As for ebay precut, you do not know what you are getting, it could be a way for a tint shop to get rid of rolls of lesser quality tint they got stuck with. Most tint shops now have the croppers with programs to pre cut the tint, you can always just buy it precut direct from local tint shops.
Your car being a hatchback it will not be as much as it would for my sedans, not as many windows.
You can make your own precuts to, the old fashion way. Cut out a piece big enough and work the tint's peel off side on the glass with some mild vey mild soapy water, lightyly squeegy it to the outside of the glass and trim around the tint piece to get it close to what you need. Then take the tint over to a storm door with a big glass or a big bathroom mirror and trim it up a litte more then go peel it and apply it. You can goof up just as bad with pre cut.the problem is the walmart tint is junk. if you were going to tint,buy it from a tint shop not made in china by 5 year olds tint. cheap tint can't handle UV rays and will deteriorate quickly. same as cheap spray can paint won't hold up on your car,as we know from a certain member on here. you can do it yourself,but the product is inferior. as to the hatchback,it may cost more, that back window is a son of a bitch to tint. it's not flat,it's a complex compound curve. if you ever look at a window off of the hatch, you can see how steep the curve is,not a do it yourself job. the quarter windows have a pretty steep curve also.