PDA

View Full Version : unreliable acceleration 88'lxi hatch

iamvandemon
05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi yall, this is something weird that I have never experienced before.

I have an 88'lxi hatch. it sat for aprox. 4yrs., when I decided to put it back on the road. I cleaned it up and put a new ecu in it (the orig. was rusted out).

Its running pretty good. But sometimes, when I am coasting while in gear and then depress the gas pedal, it will not respond. It almost feels like it is running out of gas. I have to take it out of gear, rev the engine, and then put it back in gear and go. The rest of the time, it runes strong with good response.

any ideas?

russiankid
05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Did you try new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Is the gas stale? What about the fuel filter?

iamvandemon
05-19-2008, 05:26 PM
about 4yrs stale... I ran it till it was running on fumes, then put fresh gas with a bunch of Lucas fuel additive in it.

if its just something simple like those things you mentioned, then it will probably clear itself up after I run a few tanks of clean fuel and additives through it.

Pico
05-19-2008, 05:35 PM
you may have some dirt and gunk in the gas tank from sitting all this time and it getting sucked up when you accelerate

turabaka
05-19-2008, 05:41 PM
you should still replace everything that russiankid mentioned.

russiankid
05-19-2008, 06:17 PM
about 4yrs stale... I ran it till it was running on fumes, then put fresh gas with a bunch of Lucas fuel additive in it.

if its just something simple like those things you mentioned, then it will probably clear itself up after I run a few tanks of clean fuel and additives through it.

Drain the tank and add fresh gas. Replace the things I mentioned in the my first post and you should be fine.

iamvandemon
05-19-2008, 06:24 PM
k, thanks for all the tips guys...

van

knarg
05-19-2008, 07:05 PM
yeah check all of your ignition and also vacuum lines may be leaking

Dr_Snooz
05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm curious as to how the ECU gets rusted???

forrest89sei
05-19-2008, 08:35 PM

Well bad door seals?, being in a really humid climate?, wetting yourself while driving too much......, might wanna steam clean the seat...

iamvandemon
05-20-2008, 01:00 PM

while i was working out of state for the past few years, i gave the car to my brother to drive cause he didnt have a car.

not to many months later, he locked the keys in the car. being a moron, he smashed the driver side window out. once the inspection ran out, instead of replacing the window, he just parked it as-is in the back yard. 3-4 yrs of rain and snow later, i yanked the car out of the mud and am putting it back on the road. the ecu was fully rotted out.