PDA

View Full Version : Axle Poping Out And Car Is Going Up And Down!!!

salgmz
05-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Ok I Just Installed Both New Axles And It Was Working Fine Until Today I Was Doing A U Turn And U Gunned It And It Made This Wierd Noise Like A Grind And It Popped Out Of Gear To And I Put It Bak In Gear And It All Of A Sudden Started To Like Jump Around ,every Time I Give It Gas It Starts To Go Up And Down Like I Have A Lump In The Tire And I Dont But The Faster I Go The More It Does It I Looked At The Axle Today And I Looks Like There Is Greese And Tranny Fluid Coming Out Of Where The Tranny And Axle Meet! Does Any One Know What This Is?????

forrest89sei
05-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Ok I Just Installed Both New Axles And It Was Working Fine Until Today I Was Doing A U Turn And U Gunned It And It Made This Wierd Noise Like A Grind And It Popped Out Of Gear To And I Put It Bak In Gear And It All Of A Sudden Started To Like Jump Around ,every Time I Give It Gas It Starts To Go Up And Down Like I Have A Lump In The Tire And I Dont But The Faster I Go The More It Does It I Looked At The Axle Today And I Looks Like There Is Greese And Tranny Fluid Coming Out Of Where The Tranny And Axle Meet! Does Any One Know What This Is?????

sounds like it wasn't set right, theres a retaining ring on the end of the axle that sits inside the transmission to keep it inside the Differential, check the splines on the axle for damage, check the transmission for damage, pick up some new set rings, reinstall the axles and make sure there in there

salgmz
05-19-2008, 08:48 PM
How Long Can I Drive It For Because I Need To Drive It This Week Togo To Work But I Need To Buy What Now?

forrest89sei
05-19-2008, 09:01 PM
you can't drive it like that, your going to run the transmission dry and end up killing it

salgmz
05-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I Have No Other Choice!

2oodoor
05-20-2008, 08:10 AM
sounds like it wasn't set right, theres a retaining ring on the end of the axle that sits inside the transmission to keep it inside the Differential, check the splines on the axle for damage, check the transmission for damage, pick up some new set rings, reinstall the axles and make sure there in there

dont forget new seals or tranny fluid go bye bye

bank2me
05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Keep dumpin tranny fluid in if you have to. Look everything over ASAP though.

forrest89sei
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Well right now I'd check and see if the axle is seated in the transmission, if you drive around with it un-seated your going to lose ALOT of fluid while you drive and if the splines are barely sticking in your going to risk damaging the splines on the axle along with the differential, If the grease you see is black and it's kinda thick thats the CV Joint Grease which means you either have a ripped boot, OR the C-clip that holds the cv joint to the axle shaft broke and thats why it's flopping and came unseated from the transmission

AccordEpicenter
05-20-2008, 03:08 PM
check your motor mounts also. What i think happend was that when you turned it pulled the joint apart and maybe out the transmission as well, and you probably the 3 wheels in the inner joint when it popped back together. Ive had this happen before and it makes one hell of a shake to the front end of the car esp when accelerating. Usually the cause is either the axle not being set in the trans correctly and or the bottom and rear engine/trans mounts being either loose or broke. I would check those

Ichiban
05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Is the CV boot length critical on these cars? I know that the unloaded CV boot length is important to have set correctly on many vehicles, as the boot may cause interference with the axle during articulation maneuvers like the one described above.

ArokASE88LXi
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
This happened to my friend with an 86 LXi 5-speed same thing after replacing the axle it like popped out and started dumping fluid, turned out the parts store sold him an axle for an automatic and apparently there's not much difference (he made it 60 miles with no problems). Double check the P/N with who you bought it from, post it here but just make sure it's the right axle. Hey it's worth a shot

nswst8
06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Bottom line is you risk causing serious damage to a vehicle that needs some immediate attention.