PDA

View Full Version : Snap

87newb
05-21-2008, 03:00 AM
k, so it was pooring yesterday and i was driving threw a flooded street trying to get home.
and i guess the water pressure pulling down was just too great for it, the plastic protection for the undercarriage is hanging half off,it looks as if one of the plastic bolts holding it up snapped.

is it safe to just remove the whole plastic protection thing, or do i need to fix it??

if safe to remove, how do i go about this?

if not, how should i fix it?

i searched but cant find anything.

thnx for any help.

86nlife2go
05-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Is it safe? eh, you'll probably not notice it isn't there. Is it reccomended? Well, to each his own, but it IS there for a reason. It keeps water and mud and squirrels out from gettin all intwined and infused with your engine bay and probably provides Stuctural Integrity to your bumper. If you can fix it, I'd go that route. If not, then do without, just watch out for water.

Craprocket
05-21-2008, 06:44 PM
i had the same problem with mine, bolts were all worn so i just took it off.. its been fine and i've driven through plenty of big puddles with no problems.

btw first post for some reason this wouldnt let me make my own topic? whatever hi

nfs480
05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
That plastic splash guard is really cheap so i'd recommend just replacing it.

Civic Accord Honda
05-21-2008, 07:21 PM
imo its not needed my car has been fine with out it for almost 2yars

Pico
05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
like nfs480 said they are cheap so just go ahead and get one.
Nothing sucks like having rocks and stuff kicking up into your engine compartment

nfs480
05-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I would also think that the rate of corrosion of engine components would be accelerated with all that junk getting up in there.

Dr_Snooz
05-21-2008, 08:33 PM
The problem doesn't seem to be the expense of the plastic, but the fact that the bolt holes rust out. The threads in the body rust out and mung the aluminum bolts that are supposed to hold the plastic to the car. The bolts fall out and you have a shield hanging half-off.

I keep replacing bolts in mine though. I don't need rocks and other road debris beating away at my fan belts, alternator and A/C compressor.

A20A1
05-21-2008, 09:37 PM
It's not structural, but the guard does help keep water out so it doesn't splash around and get on your electronics or your belts which can cause them to squeal.
It may also provide some aerodynamic benefit for the underbody

87newb
05-22-2008, 12:59 AM
any place that i could get one? i cant order online im only 17 and dont have a debit card or CC. maybe advance auto parts?

MessyHonda
05-22-2008, 05:30 AM
i had mine off for a while now when i swaped my headers....but yeah i guess its recommended to change it....you can go to honda and see how much they want.

Dr_Snooz
05-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Definitely a Pick-N-Pull item.

nfs480
05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
You should be able to just walk into a Honda dealer and buy one. If they don't have one in stock they should be able to order one and you can pay cash.