PDA

View Full Version : Outer tie rod end

russiankid
05-22-2008, 08:19 PM
When I did my rack, I couldn't reset the steering. So after replacement I had an alignment done. This was about a year ago, and now I checked my tie rod ends, and the outer left one is the one I am concerned about. I cannot see any threads on the tie rod. My question is, if the tie rod is to be screwed in all the way into the tie rod end, is there still enough threads left to properly tighten the luck nut?

Is it a bad idea to loosen the nut to check it?

Thanks!

Demon1024
05-22-2008, 11:47 PM
as long as you don't turn the bar loosening or tightening it

russiankid
05-23-2008, 03:47 AM
I will be changing my oil tomorrow so I will loosen the nut and check it out. I want to find a good shop that can do this correctly and not a piss poor job.

AZmike
05-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Did you make sure that the rack was centered before you reconnected the steering shaft to the pinion shaft? It sounds like the tie rods had to be adjusted near the end of their ranges to center your steering wheel.

russiankid
05-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Did you make sure that the rack was centered before you reconnected the steering shaft to the pinion shaft? It sounds like the tie rods had to be adjusted near the end of their ranges to center your steering wheel.

I didn't center it so that is why. When I get a chance I will probably get it done right. In the mean time, I am going to check the lock nut, but what I stated previously about the threads, is it true?

russiankid
05-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Ok I checked it out. It will not come loose on its own. I did get it loose and there are enough threads. Once I move I am going to find a shop and have this done correctly.

Now I need to figure out why my upper control arm has a slight rattle to it. Ball joint is fairly new, I already took the bushings apart and greased them. Guess it is going to stay like this.

Oldblueaccord
05-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Check the bolts to the car on the UCA. Mine have come loose before and it will give quite a rattle thru the car.

wp

russiankid
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Check the bolts to the car on the UCA. Mine have come loose before and it will give quite a rattle thru the car.

wp

I will check those. I am pretty sure I tightened them but I will check.

Oldblueaccord
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Whoops Sam I meant nuts. I think you know what I mean. 18 mm wrench I think.

wp

russiankid
05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Whoops Sam I meant nuts. I think you know what I mean. 18 mm wrench I think.

wp

Yeah I know what you meant.