PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle

rrhodes
05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
89 Carb

I know this has been covered in the past but I did a good search and I'm not really finding what I want.

I posted a while back that I was having a hesitation issue under load and there was some great feedback. Until today I wasn't really able to figure out what the issue was. Believe it or not my timing was out about 24 degrees!!! To figure this out we manually turned the fly wheel and then marked the "correct" timing marks with some white marker. It was then that I realized I was timed on the X and not the correct marking. We completed the timing the hesitation is gone and the power is really good!!!

Now the problem - my idle is really rough. I did find that when the timing was set correctly that my idle was low. I used the knurled knob on the back of the carb to bring it up slightly but the idle is still very rough. I also used Seafoam a little while back.

I think that one of the following might be the issue:
1. Carb mixture needs to be adjusted

2. Timing belt (changed just before I got the car) is a tooth or two off - I don't know what the symptoms would be if that was the case. Whoever changed the belt may have made this mistake and then timed the engine to overcome the mistake. Now that I have timed the engine correctly the idle is crap - Or maybe I'm right out to lunch on this assumption.

3. Valves need to be adjusted

When I'm going down the highway I have good steady power - it's the idle that's killing me.

Let me know what you think the problem might be.

Many thanks,
Rob

greentee76
05-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Things I would check:
Fuel filters
vacuum leaks
EGR valve stuck?
Venturies tight?

These are the first things that come to mind.