PDA

View Full Version : Mad Smoke

87newb
05-23-2008, 06:55 PM
well, i had 2 cracks by the radiator cap that were spraying radiator fluid EVERYWHERE :jaw:

i bondo'd them up as soon as i saw them.

i was freaking out though cuz i couldnt figure it out, i didnt see anything when i first looked. and i was driving a 16 mile drive. half way through it, my car starts pouring smoke from under the hood. and i was like shit, so i pulled into a gas station popped the hood to see what was up and tons of steam in my face. so i let it clear up took about 2 minutes for it to clear up and i looked and didnt see anything. started up again, ran good for about 2 minutes then started pouring smoke again, so i had to stop 2 more times on the way home to let it cool back down and clear the smoke up. also, my temp gauge was spiking alot, it would start and be normal then within 30 seconds be almost in the red, would having those 2 cracks in the radiator cause this, or do i need a new thermostat?

anyways, i got em bondo'd and i hope that those were the only 2 cracks. ill update tomorrow after its dried up.

p.s. this was my first bondo job, i used quik steel, anybody have any idea how long it should take to dry up?

Pico
05-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I used quick steel on my EGR pipe going to my exh. manifold and it held up for over a year.
It would still be there if I didnt fix the exh.leak.
Let it sit overnight and you'll be okay

russiankid
05-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I would get a new radiator. The guage spiking up like that is probably caused by air in the system. Change the thermostat, radiator, and bleed the system and you should be ok.

87newb
05-23-2008, 07:02 PM
k, i did it around 8pm, u think itll be nice and solid by 10am?

87newb
05-23-2008, 07:03 PM
any idea how much that'll run me russian? im a little limited in funds till next gov check

Pico
05-23-2008, 07:17 PM
k, i did it around 8pm, u think itll be nice and solid by 10am?

Yeah that would be cool

Dr_Snooz
05-23-2008, 09:06 PM
My radiator was $150 from Napa. I can't imagine that Bondo is going to work very well on a plastic radiator. Maybe I'm missing something.

88Accord-DX
05-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Occasionally, I can get plastic weld to hold a break on a radiator neck. It's a 2 part epoxy ,it works if you rough your prep surface good first & clean afterwards before applying.

Oldblueaccord
05-23-2008, 10:32 PM
You can leave the radaitor cap loose as well so it wont build up pressure but keep the fluid in.

wp

87newb
05-23-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah i prepped good before bondo. i sanded with # 320 and cleaned well then dried well. then applied the bondo. well, i guess i will see how it went when i get up in the morning. ill update after i run it.

SZfiftyfour
05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I used quick steel on my EGR pipe going to my exh. manifold and it held up for over a year.
It would still be there if I didnt fix the exh.leak.
Let it sit overnight and you'll be okay

^^This works. Once i accidently burned a hole in a metal coolant tube coming out of the head (with a wrench; and some electricity from a fully connected battery :uh: ). I used j.b.weld on it and havent had a problem in 5 years.

88Accord-DX
05-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Quick Steel is made for what it's name is.

The plastic has a different type of adhesion property that isn't going to bond with Quick Steel.

Here is example of plastic weld that you can get at any Napa parts store. (not like I know anything working on cars everyday)

http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/20/2071_300.jpg

87newb
05-24-2008, 04:10 AM
k, well i went out to check my car. the bondo cured. its stong i dont feel any weak spots. i ran it for 10 minutes. NO SMOKE!

this makes me extremely happy because i have to work in sarasota today. that 20 mile drive. i hope she holds out. if not, then ill try some of the stuff dude was talking about. i REALLY hope that this stuff works though. :eatarrow:

Oldblueaccord
05-24-2008, 08:12 AM
I think they make some JB weld for plastic. I used the regular on my top tank and it never did really hold very well.

Carry water!

wp

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I got some plastic weld from Napa too. I forget the brand, but if I'd shoved it up my butt :eek:, it would have worked as well as it did on the plastic.

MessyHonda
05-24-2008, 11:51 PM
bondo is for the body....just get a new rad

87newb
05-25-2008, 03:23 AM
ya that quik steel broke half way there. so my dad bought some perma epoxy. i guess i get to see if that worked today. i did 3 layers of the epoxy, seperately after they dried. so hopefully it will hold. the box said it can hold up to 3500 psi of pressure. idk how much a radiator puts out usually. but...wish me luck. idk how to change radiator, if there is a walk through then i could prolly do it myself. pep boys wants $500 parts and labor to do it. :barf:

97.99 for a new radiator from them though.

87newb
05-25-2008, 04:18 PM
the epoxy held EXTREMELY well. there is now no leakage and no smoke. but Autozone is going to have a new radiator for me in the morning and also upper and lower hosing and me and my brother r going to change the radiator and the hoses. YAY! :bong:

so instead of $500 for everything, like $120.
woot.
but if anybody has this problem, i recommend product "Perma Epoxy" it works great.

88Accord-DX
05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Put a new radiator cap that new radiator & thermo switch at the bottom of it.. Would also be wise to replace the thermostat too. Something is making that old radiator build up too much pressure, the cap is rated around 13-15 psi. & it should have blown coolant to the overflow tank.
Also, make sure to remove all the air out of the system, turn the heater on full blast. Check & make sure you fan(s) are kicking on after it reaches operating temperature. One last thing, look down in the radiator & make sure the water pump is working after the thermostat opens up.

87newb
05-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes the water pump works. that was what i thought it could be at first. yeah i was going to get a thermostat today too. after i hook the radiator up turn the heat on full blast? what does that do?

AccordEpicenter
05-26-2008, 08:40 AM
ehh its gonna break again soon, i dont mess around esp with the cost of a new radiator. Get a koyo aluminum unit off eGay

87newb
05-26-2008, 10:00 AM
just picked up the radiator and a new upper and lower hose and a new thermostat.
i tell you, this epoxy is holding REALLY well for being a temp fix. my temp gauge is holding perfect now, i think that is cuz there isnt any escaping pressure?

and now all my coolant isnt flooding out of any cracks or holes. BUT, i think its very cool that there are things like that to hold it until people can save up their money. i definetly recommend Perma epoxy to anybody who needs a temp fix on something like a radiator.

thnx for all advice everyone

Oldblueaccord
05-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Running the heat helps run air out of the system. Theres a bleeder on the thermostat housing to bleed air out of the system as well. Its important on Honda's to do this.

wp

bank2me
05-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Good Idea getting a new radiator.

87newb
05-26-2008, 09:52 PM
so if i blast my heat lets say....once or twice a week its better for my car?

Oldblueaccord
05-27-2008, 01:52 PM
No thats not needed. Its just when you drain all the coolant out to do the rad. filling it up it will get air in the system thats why the bleeder is there. Might be to late but I would use distilled water as well esp. since you live in Florida the lime water will eat a rad. pretty quick.

wp

87newb
05-28-2008, 01:02 AM
not too late, i havent installed the new radiator yet. im doing that friday. we were just going to fill it up with green coolant.

Oldblueaccord
05-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Anit-freeze needs to be mixed with water unless your buying it premixed which is fine. it cools much better with water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol

heres the tech part kinda dry reading but if you want to wow your friends at a party

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/SCA-Part1.php

wp

87newb
05-28-2008, 01:22 PM
yeah, i use the premixed its like 70% / 30% or 60% / 40%