PDA

View Full Version : Non Honda power steering fluid.

snyper1982
05-23-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a leak in my power steering line somewhere on my '89 Accord LXI, not sure where yet, but my main concern is that I have been using non Honda PSF. I had no idea Honda had a special PSF, let alone it could damage my car by not using it. Anyways, do you guys think I may have jacked up the power steering system by using the non Honda stuff? Where is the most common place for damage to occur when using the wrong PSF? Thanks in advance.

russiankid
05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Quite possibly yes. I would suspect the rack to be the culprit of the leak.

DBMaster
05-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately, yes. Honda formulated their own special synthetic fluid. Using conventional stuff or ATF will prematurely wear out every seal in the system.

Demon1024
05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
you're looking at possibly a new rack, speed sensor (the on on the trans) and new p/s pump. been there done that....

AccordB20A
05-23-2008, 10:06 PM
been using normal used lol atf for ever in my cars and never had a problem

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2008, 09:40 PM
I used normal in mine once.

Then I replaced the rack.

It's a real b***h to replace. I'd sooner hammer my thumb flat than do that again.

A20A1
05-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I used non-honda

and it blew my hose

lostforawhile
05-24-2008, 10:03 PM
you're looking at possibly a new rack, speed sensor (the on on the trans) and new p/s pump. been there done that....
you can rebuild the pump,advance has the kit,it's pretty easy. the seal where the high pressure line bolts up is wrong,but you can get that o ring anywhere. you have destroyed your pump seals and power steering rack seals.

Civic Accord Honda
05-24-2008, 10:27 PM
power steering is gay anyway :) IMHO

GraniteLXI
05-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I need to add a bit to mine...i got a light dripping leak in my main PS hose...

Edit: Woot...300 posts :)

MessyHonda
05-25-2008, 12:03 AM
i got the napa fluid that is for honda and acuras

canadian357
05-25-2008, 12:02 PM
hahahaha, exact same thing happened to me. check your pressure hose seals. i had to get my hose replaced, but now i can apparently use non-proprietary PSF.

lostforawhile
05-25-2008, 01:01 PM
hahahaha, exact same thing happened to me. check your pressure hose seals. i had to get my hose replaced, but now i can apparently use non-proprietary PSF.
no the rack still uses specific seals that require the honda equivilent fluid

snyper1982
05-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Any Idea how much this is gonna cost to fix? Where can I find all the parts? What is the procedure for replacing all the seals? What would you to do to get this fixed if you were in my position? Thanks for the info.

snyper1982
05-25-2008, 01:23 PM
One other thing, do you think I should try draining out all the old crap, putting in the right Honda PSF, and maybe adding in some of the Lucas PSF leak fix stuff before I fix everything? Also, where can I get a new cap to the power steering fluid reservoir? I lost mine, so I have some plastic rubber banded around the opening now as a temp fix.

lostforawhile
05-25-2008, 01:31 PM
One other thing, do you think I should try draining out all the old crap, putting in the right Honda PSF, and maybe adding in some of the Lucas PSF leak fix stuff before I fix everything? Also, where can I get a new cap to the power steering fluid reservoir? I lost mine, so I have some plastic rubber banded around the opening now as a temp fix.
never add that lucas shit god no,i have a thread about this somewhere it will destroy your system. as far as the rack,you nwed to replace it, the seals for the power steering pump are available in a kit from advance auto parts.

P|eszczoH
05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
I use STP power stering fluid, for like 3 years now, and about 30-40 k km and no leaks, no problems at all. STP does not say that this is ATF or so, also Honda used ATF for power stering in some cars like Honda Concerto for example. I think that PSF is a best option, but it is not cheap at all just like honda parts :)

lostforawhile
05-28-2008, 12:08 PM
I use STP power stering fluid, for like 3 years now, and about 30-40 k km and no leaks, no problems at all. STP does not say that this is ATF or so, also Honda used ATF for power stering in some cars like Honda Concerto for example. I think that PSF is a best option, but it is not cheap at all just like honda parts :)it's possible your parts may be different in europe then over here. these cars had a bad reputation for power steering system leaks, mainly due to people putting the wrong fluid in them. if you used the right fluid,honda had designed special seals,that were suppposed to never leak. if you put in the wrong fluid,it destroyed these seals. it actually makes sense for them to use different seals for different areas of the world. maby there it was hard to get honda ps fluid back in the eighties.

P|eszczoH
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
no, manual for honda says PSF for Europe cars too. What i wrote came out of my experience in this thema. STP is rather US brand... and it was only power stering fluid i have found which was not ATF. I say it works for my car, and the steering does not leak in two of my hondas. maybe i will buy psf some day, but not yet its to expensive.

russiankid
05-28-2008, 02:53 PM
When I replaced my rack, the instructions said to use OE fluid.

P.S. Replacing the rack is not as hard as everyone pictures it to be. Just unbolt the U-joint inside the car, undo the tie rod ends and the hard lines. Remove the mounts that hold the rack, push the rack all the way to the left or right(don't remember) and just fish it out. Took me about 15 minutes to get it out after realizing that you have to turn the rack:mad:.

Demon1024
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
and unbolt the shift linkage if you have a manual shift, you don't have to take off the exhaust off like one of the manuals says

import racer
06-06-2008, 06:17 PM
hey i was just wondering how much work it is to go manual steering.get rid of power steering,less chance for leaks and better road feel.

lostforawhile
06-07-2008, 06:26 AM
hey i was just wondering how much work it is to go manual steering.get rid of power steering,less chance for leaks and better road feel.this has been debated for a long time, it's about impossible to get the manual rack for the car,if you try to order it,a power rack will be substituted,also it's not just bolting it in, the rear crossmember is different you have to locate a junk rear crossmember. good luck.

import racer
06-07-2008, 04:05 PM
is there any way i can use my power one and disconnect what i don't need.

russiankid
06-07-2008, 04:11 PM
is there any way i can use my power one and disconnect what i don't need.

Yes, from what I know you have to disconnect all the lines to it but you need to tie some lines together and also fill it with some fluid. I am not exactly sure but that is the drift of it.