PDA

View Full Version : How to clean "peanutbutter like goo" out of motor??!?

newtuner
05-24-2008, 12:07 PM
How do i clean the "peanutbutter like goo" out of my motor??!? i had a blown head gasket and the coolant and oil mixed... also im sorry but its not my honda (my baby is ok..) its a grand am v6:thumbdn: but i need another car. the motor is taken apart. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oldblueaccord
05-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Clean clean and more cleaning. Thats about the jist of it. I worked on a particlularly bad 22R where the oil and water mixed due to the timing chain wearing a hole in the cover.

We used old towels and diesel fuel to swab everything as best we could. Soaked the valve cover a few days,new PVC and and other breathers,replaced a few sludged up hoses etc. In the end it prolly took 2-3 oil changes to get it looking pretty good.

You may have to drop the oil pan and clean that up as well. Do forget the cooling system may have been contaminated as well.

wp

newtuner
05-24-2008, 01:01 PM
damn thx thats what i thought!!! ive heard useing disel or kerosene like oil but ehhh i think thats 2 dangerous + will eat my new gaskets.... soooo im guessin soakin the parts in disel!! thx!

Oldblueaccord
05-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah I'm not much on running it thru a motor really. I know its been done but not by me. I use Diesel here at the house all the time I keep a 5 gallon pail with about 3 gallons in it. It cleans well, doesnt hurt your hands to bad, and it keeps parts from rusting once you got them cleaned off. Do stir it up and all the solids goto the bottom. PLus I dump it with my used oil at the waste place its considered low haz.

The 22r we never had the head off just the front cover so I let the owner, my buddy, work on it since he thinks Toys and 22r's are so fucking wonderful.
:rofl: He cut strips of towels and ran them around best he could using a spray bottle.

wp

MessyHonda
05-24-2008, 11:28 PM
we used some engine cleaner and a high pressure washer....it came out looking new.

Dr_Snooz
05-25-2008, 12:07 AM
I might not be understanding you, but why not just take the block to a machine shop and have it steam cleaned?

Oldblueaccord
05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
well way I read it he just did a headgasket.I imagined that was in cab just like I would do one. Taking the motor out is an option but I dont think most are that interesting in going that far with it.

In my case we were just changing the timing chain and putting a new cover back on. All in cab again.

wp

newtuner
05-25-2008, 12:06 PM
yea the motor is still in the car... the spray bottle idea is smart!! i guess ill just pull the oil pan and start cleanin.... then when i get it as clean as i can by hand start dumpin diesel through the lifter/camshaft valley till it runs pretty clean then 3 or 4 oil changes and i should be good!
we used some engine cleaner and a high pressure washer where were u when u did this..... because i kno the epa would come after me for sure doin this at home!!! i kno a guy that took his motor to a do-it-yourself car wash and got nailed witha $15,000 fine! so im jus lookin for a containable way to clean it... looks like diesel and rags r the best idea 4 me... thx

AccordEpicenter
05-26-2008, 08:36 AM
i like carb cleaner and brake cleaner personally

2oodoor
05-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I would not run any solvents in it. You really just need to get the clump out of the oil pan. You can do that by changing the oil in 100 mile intervals. Do that about twice, then again before 1000 miles. Use castrol gtx on the third one and then all others after that. You will be surprized how clean it will get.
Keep the pcv, vent filter and oil filter cleaned/changed.

bank2me
05-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I've heard running auto transmission fluid really clears out and engine and is a good lube.

Lil Mike
05-26-2008, 05:21 PM
I've heard running auto transmission fluid really clears out and engine and is a good lube.

+1 i run about a litre of atf in my car

Ichiban
05-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I would not run any solvents in it. You really just need to get the clump out of the oil pan. You can do that by changing the oil in 100 mile intervals. Do that about twice, then again before 1000 miles. Use castrol gtx on the third one and then all others after that. You will be surprized how clean it will get.
Keep the pcv, vent filter and oil filter cleaned/changed.

Good advice here:

The glycols in antifreeze are extremely corrosive to the babbit material that your rod and main bearings are coated in. You need to get that crap out ASAP. Frequent oil changes are a must. You must also run the engine to temperature for extended periods as well, as this will drive off the moisture from the oil and allow it to escape via your crankcase vent system, which must be properly functioning. You also should consider wiping out your valve cover regularly, as it doesn't often get hot enough to boil off the water, and the crap tends to accumulate up there. Dropping your pan and wiping out the goo is also a good idea. If you want to wash out your bottom end, use a fast drying solvent like carb cleaner or Brakekleen. You don't want to use Diesel or mineral spirits as they tend to stick around and really destroy the lubricating properties of engine oil. Avoid cylinder walls and rod/main bearing areas when applying any solvent.

Ichiban
05-26-2008, 08:38 PM

I've seen firsthand the destruction caused by running ATF in engine oil. It apparently causes air entrapment, and the cavitation wipes out oil pumps and bearings. I don't recommend it at all. If you want to run a high detergent oil, run any diesel grade engine oil with an API prefix of "C"

bank2me
05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Some mechanic recommended my buddy to run some in his cougar.
Maybe the mechanic is an idiot :bong:

2oodoor
05-27-2008, 11:43 AM
ATF will destroy your valve seals too if they are already hardened.

newtuner
06-08-2008, 12:15 PM
well i used diesel to clean it out... it had been siting with the water oil mix for quite some time... 10 or 11 months... heh:banghead: ... but it seems to run strong with no noise!! (screw gm!) i couldnt pull the oil pan because of the fact id need a cherry picker and well im broke.. did 5 oil changes first 3 were at 100 mile intervals then 500 for the last 2... its been about 2 weeks and it runs strong!! i would recomend the diesel to anyone who has to do this!! it worked great!!! well thanks for all of your guyses (and gurls) input!

lostforawhile
06-08-2008, 03:32 PM
you can get that engine cleaner stuff you run through the engine,it comes in a can, you mix it with the oil, you don't drive the car with it in there, once it's run through,you remove the oil pan, clean it out then change the oil. you're probably going to have to remove the pan. you can't jack the engine enough to remove it?

newtuner
06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
nope trans pan is to0 far back and to0 soft for me to jack there plus i have to remove the rear crossmember...:wtf: so0o0o0o0 im jus leavin it im at about 700 miles on the 5th oil change so here in about 250-300 miles ill change the oil again and vis. inspect the oil but the last one came out clear as when it went in!

Oldblueaccord
06-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Sounds like it worked out ok. Good thing roodoo thought of it!

I meant to write DO NOT stir it up if its in a bucket.All the sudge sinks to the bottom.

wp