PDA

View Full Version : y'all convinced me to stay

bushbean
05-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Ok! You guys convinced me to keep the 3G. Besides, there are rumors at work that there will be layoffs soon. I need to be saving money at this moment, not spending big bux on a new/newer car. Also, the styling of newer cars just can't beat the 3G, which is timeless.

Anyway, during the last timing belt change, I noticed that as I hand crank the engine with the valve cover removed, there was a lot of air hissing sound near the valves. I can't hear it if the valve cover is in place. Is the hissing sound normal? or does this mean I need a valve job? If it does, could someone outline the job so I can start researching it?

Other info of my car might be helpful. Basically, the car burns roughly about 1 QT per 1500 miles. The oil gets dark very quickly after an oil change. I change the oil every 1500 miles. The car is low on power. I didn't realize how slow this car is until I test drove a brand new Accord. After driving a new Accord, I realize the engine on my 3G is very worn out.

A18A
05-25-2008, 07:19 AM
:thumbup: @ staying

Dr_Snooz
05-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Start with a good compression test. That'll tell you what shape the motor is in. Make sure that your oil consumption isn't just a seal (the dizzie seal likes to leak a lot and is just a $5 o-ring).

In general, check the cheap, easy stuff before assuming that it's something expensive. Have you tuned up recently? Do you use good gas? Etc. etc.

If I remember correctly, you haven't given this car the utmost in loving care, so it's very likely time to do it now if you intend to keep it. The dirty oil sounds like rings, but might be some combination of bad fuel and neglected oil changes. Anyway, make sure that what you fix is genuinely needed before you do it.

bushbean
05-25-2008, 08:16 AM
My outside of my engine is oil free now. I spent a lot of time tracking the oil leaks, and the biggest culprit was the cam seal. I'm not too worry about the oil consumption--1500 miles per quart is acceptable to me.

I've own this car for two years, and I religiously change the oil every 1500 to 2000 miles. After about 200 miles from the oil change, the oil will turn dark.

I only use gas from reputation gas stations, like Chevron and Exxon. I never use cheap gas stations.

I did replaced the spark plugs, cap+rotors, and plug wires, last year.